Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bleeding Batiks - looks like egg coloring   General Discussion

Started Apr-8 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 946 views.
sueinIL

Apr-9

That's really scary, Dee!  Were these a major brand like Hoffman or Kauffman?  At their prices, we should expect much better quality.  If you had used all these colors in a quilt without pre-washing, I think they'd all bleed down to a brown, and there would be one unfortunate quilter!

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Apr-9

I'm willing to bet that those fabrics were created by some eco-friendly outfit that only uses earth-friendly methods and doesn't taint the environment with harsh chemicals.

Pardon my sarcastic attitude but I remember the days when cotton clothing did not fade with one laundering .... 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-9

I have to remember that.  Memories of your picture should do it.  I haven't pre-soaked any of the batiks I have used. I do wash them with color catchers and luckily have had no issues.

sueinIL

Apr-9

Judy, black jeans are the worst! I took several pairs of varying ages and grayness and re-dyed them all in one washer load.  They turned out really well, but I'll have to do them all again this fall.

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Apr-15

So did all of these fabrics eventually stop bleeding?

Are all of them going to be usable in your kit?

yes they did stop.  Actually they only took 3 tries in the soak, not bad.  The red ones for Marion's quilt took 6.

tuckyquilter

May-11

I know exactly what you mean. I soak all dark purples, reds and blues in super hot water before I wash them.  I had a top I bought that had dark blues and Reds and was of a flimsy gauge type fabric.   This was after the third fresh water rinse.  I think it will be a hand wash item or in washer by itself or with other dark colors.

Suze (casuzenn)

May-12

woah....is  any color going to be left???!!!

tuckyquilter

May-12

Strangely enough, yes, It's gauzy Red/White/Blue patriotic top and thankfully the white remained white.