Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Question about Featherweight locking up   General Discussion

Started May-23 by sueinIL; 675 views.
LABFIEND

May-23

Sue, the Featherwwight Shop is very good about helping trouble shoot problems.  There is also a FB page for featherweights, if she can get pictures and post them, or send to the Featherweight shop, they can probably help her.

https://singer-featherweight.com/

They also have many tutorials that could help her.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SingerFWGroup/  This is the FB page, it is a closed group but if she has a FW, just join and there are many people who can help.  But try the Featherweight shop, they can help.

sueinIL

May-24

Thank you!  When I talked with her, I couldn't recall any specific site names, so just told her if she would look online, there were plenty of FW groups to get information from.  

Well, something worked!  When I called her back yesterday for a follow-up, she said her DH took the whole bobbin case apart and found a tiny snippet of thread.  So they cleaned and oiled the area, and now the machine runs just as it always did.  I love when things work out!

Sue in IL

LABFIEND

May-24

Yaay, I love it when things work out.  it is amazing what a tiny piece of thread can do when it gets stuck!  I have had that happen before!  And the FW Shop has great videos for cleaning and oiling and general how to's , I love being able to service the machine myself. Glad she got it working!

judyinohio

May-24

We should all remember that these old Singer beauties were sold by "traveling salesmen" in the days before sewing machine shops so they had to be reliable and they had to be "fixable" by "the little lady".

I also believe that the Singer company was the originator of the installment plan so that the housewife of yore could buy her machine on a monthly payment plan.

Some forum vintage machine historian care to back me up on that?

Suze (casuzenn)

May-24

judyinohio said:

I also believe that the Singer company was the originator of the installment plan so that the housewife of yore could buy her machine on a monthly payment plan. Some forum vintage machine historian care to back me up on that?

yup....https://sewalot.com/end_of_empire_by_alex_askaroff_sewalot.htm -  specifically the section 'How did it all start'  talks about the hire purchase plan devised by the Singer Company...

nylaagain

Jun-1

I’ve always said the FW was a marvel of good engineering. It was designed to do one thing, do it well, and do it for a lifetime. They definitely met that goal.

I sure love my featherweight. 

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-2

I do so enjoy sewing on and maintaining my own FW.  Now that I have a new belt on my While FW she runs wonderfully.  I was using her today at a sewing event and the darn top thread kept breaking.  Now what?!?  After a number of times of rethreading both top and bobbin I couldn't stop it.  Hmmmm...  got to thinking...  Dummy...  last time you had a thread breaking issue the solution INSISTED I change the needle.  Hmmm...  so before he came over to see how it was sewing I changed the needle.  Lo and Behold!  Worked like a charm!!!  Will I EVER learn!?!?!  Try the easy fixes first!!!