Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can't Remember the Clever Potholder Pattern ...   Off-Topic Chat

Started Jul-20 by judyinohio; 901 views.
judyinohio

Jul-21

Yep, you got it, Suze.

I had time to wander over to Youtube this afternoon and I found Laura at SewVeryEasy (the silver-haired sewing version of Heloise's Hints) has a video on the subject.

She makes the potholder with triangles or with squares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwmMFn79prY

CC (ccase5)

Jul-21

Loved that. so simple. my only question is one i always have, my brain forgets. which side should the heat safe side of the insulbright be? top or bottom of square...? I never get that right.
judyinohio

Jul-21

I don't think it matters. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-21

I'm so glad that you posted that YouTube video.  I couldn't quite envision the process or even the finished product from the description.

The method she shows is VERY ingenious!  I do have some leftover InsulBrite from some other project and will need to try this out.  Funny thing, we just returned from camping where Mr. Pirate was bemoaning the poor (ummmm ... Very Poor) state of the camping pot holders.   

After looking at the local stores, he finally found some acceptable ones at the Dollar Store.  They are plain blue, which he said was much more acceptable than the girly, floral and birdy prints of the other offerings.  :-)    If I had known this technique was available, I could have told him to save his couple of dollars  LOL!   :-)

Thanks again ... this is very clever.

judyinohio

Jul-21

The year I made Christmas-themed couch quilts for the women who worked at our office they were tickled pink.  Then they saw the potholders I made from the scraps from their quilts and they really got over-the-moon excited about those. I had jumbled all the fabrics together so that the poinsettias from Marie's, the ribbons from Sue's, the ornaments from Beverly's, etc. were all mixed up on the potholders so they had reminders of each other's quilts.  The potholder novelty fabrics were mixed with a solid and frankly were kinda ugly but the women sure got a kick out of them.

You can make your camper's potholders as "manly" as Mr. Pirate needs them to be. Just think of the surprises you can give him for Father's Day in the future.  LOL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-21

Update:  harumph.  I have dug through the pile where I keep my batting.  I KNOW I had a piece of leftover InsulBrite.  It's not with the other pieces of batting.  It's also not where it shouldn't be, i.e. any other place. 

The ONLY solution I can think of is that some dastardly person entered my house, proceeded to my sewing room and STOLE my leftover InsulBrite.  That rat bastard.  I have been stymied.

judyinohio

Jul-21

You are not stymied because you do not have to use the fancy InsulBrite batting.

Batting that is 100% cotton works very well. I've used two layers of Warm & Natural batting for my potholders and have not suffered any ill consequences. 

If you stop and think about it people were making potholders before InsulBrite was invented.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-21

yeah, and getting their fingers burned, too!  :-)

Midkid5

Jul-21

Suze, my instructions have you tacking the center down and I use a couple of layers of flannel rather than batting.

Jo

judyinohio

Jul-21

My grandmother bunched up her pinafore apron with a linen dishtowel to grab things and pull them out of her oven ..  guess women were tougher in the old days.  LOL

But then we kids rode our bikes without helmets and knee pads too. LOL