Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

VALLEY OF THE SUN RETREAT Feb 14-16 2020   News and Announcements

Started 10/31/19 by KSCarolyn; 79010 views.
mxkittens

11/15/19

ANNOUNCING THIS YEARS SECRET SISTER RETREAT EVENT

Instructions:  FIRST this is absolutely voluntary!  If interested, please send an email to Becky Selby (mxkittens@gmail.com).  The Secret Sister Survey form will be sent to you.  Upon receipt of the Secret Sister Survey form, please fill out and return to Becky Selby.  You will then be advised by email the name of your secret sister.

Review your Secret Sister’s questionnaire thoroughly, and familiarize yourself with her favorites and interests.  Throughout the retreat, surprise your secret sister with treats and little gifts:

• There must be three smaller gifts throughout the retreat before SATURDAY night (you can even start on Thursday night).
  • ON Saturday night, you will present the final gift and reveal yourself to your secret sister.
  • Total dollar value of all gifts must not be greater than $25.

Suggestions for first three smaller gifts:

• Candy bar, snack or drink, tasty treats, tea bags or coffee $5 gift cards
  • One fat quarter or four 2 1/2-inch-wide noodles
  • Encouraging notes or cards
  • Little lotions, Chapstick or lip gloss, little candles
  • Note! - these gifts are not to be lavish gifts, but thoughtful gifts

On Saturday, your gift may be a small, handmade item (pin cushion, mug rug, etc) or a small notion around $8-12 (spool of thread, small ruler, nice seam ripper etc) or a magazine they may not have. This will be the last item you give your Secret Sister so you could even work on it during the retreat and she won’t even know it’s for her!!!

Stumped for gift ideas?  Pinterest can help and the more hand made the more appreciated, as it truly shows the thought behind the gifts.

If you have any questions please post to the forum, as many may have the same question, or contact Becky Selby - Deadline to send your request is Friday November 22nd.

• Edited November 17, 2019 8:44 am  by  mxkittens
Misha (MISHAMISHA)

11/15/19

WAHOO!!! Thank you hostesses for bringing this back! I really enjoyed participating in the past.

Note to retreatees: don’t mess this up! Play by the rules, or they’ll take it away again!!! 

Kim D. (KIMDIG)

11/15/19

Hugs to you and Prayers going up during this difficult time!!  Take time for yourself and breath!

LeeAnn (mom1me2)

11/15/19

I have changed the needle, rethreaded, changed the bobbin..... I am out of canned air so that is on my list to blow out the underneath.  

bornblesse2

11/15/19

Be careful of the canned air.....it can blow stuff farther inside.  I prefer the micro brushes...like a mini q tip.

LeeAnn (mom1me2)

11/15/19

Ahhh, I have those.  Will give those a try and see if that helps.  

what causes bunching of thread on underside ?  I have rethreaded and goes well through test fabric but tangled mess when trying on quilt. 

I am about to throw this darn thing out and consider self beat

****I got it.  Not sure how I got it, but it is now back on track and I am on a roll again. ***

Busy few days, in a way. The other day I came home and it was 62 in my house, with the setting at 70...I cranked it up to 75, and all night, it was freezing...it only ever got up to 63. Replaced the thermostat, and I'm happy again. School, study, sewing, went out to the movies with my friend to see Harriet. Having fun sewing a lot, though :) 

bornblesse2

11/15/19

LeeAnn, call me if you want!  It was working before and not now?

couple of questions....using a walking foot?  Is it on right? Doing Free motion?  What are your settings?

Hints:  mess of threads on the bottom of your sewing means tension issue on your threads coming off your spool.

did your feed dogs button get pushed and they are no longer engaged?

Defloss your machine (thread can sometimes get caught in those tension disks) by cutting thread near spool and pulling out from near the needle.

change needle

After doing any of these, check if regular sewing tension is still good....

do any of these basics help?

edit!  So I Typed this and now see you edited your message.  So, leaving this for good measure!

you are not alone, it happens to all of us that tension goes wacky!  Cathy called me just this week because her needle started hitting something, it is NOT just you.

In reply toRe: msg 243
YDritch

11/15/19

Don and my DB have been on almost identical schedules since they both entered different ER's on Monday!  Both have made improvements but Don's has been pretty dramatic.  Everything is near or within "normal" ranges....heart rate and BP.  The staph infection is reacting positively to the antibiotics and he's regaining his appetite and strength.  Last MRI was clear (no blood clots in his leg).  PT should start tomorrow and he's hoping to be released by Monday.  My brother has improved but only slightly.  We're praying he doesn't have to go on dialysis.  Thanks to all for their prayers and good wishes.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

11/15/19

Oh Yetta, what fantastic news about Don! Hope your brother continues to improve and won't need the dialysis. A friend of ours had to do that due to some kind of inherited kidney disease and eventually had a transplant. He's doing so much better now, though of course no one wants to have to go through that, as transplants come with their own complex issues.