Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

For Featherweight Fans ...   General Discussion

Started 12/20/19 by judyinohio; 1215 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-18

I piece with Aurafil on my FW too and upright I don't have trouble...  or at least I'm too ignorant to see it.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-20

Thanks, Judy.  I need to buy one of those.  I use my FW quite a bit.

In reply toRe: msg 8
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-20

I've been using my Aurifil upright also but I know it is designed to be used horizontal.  I can't remember why.  Such is old age. sigh............

judyinohio

Jan-20

Aurifil is crosswound on the spool.

When Featherweights and other vintage machines were invented there was no such thing as a crosswound spool of thread; all threads were "stacked" on the spool.  Then for some reason the European threads came on the market as crosswound and were loaded on the machines horizontally.

(Anyone know why that was done?)

tuckyquilter

Jan-20

I have one of these at every machine.  They are pretty handy. 

The larger cones are great and I use smaller empty Aurifil orange spools inside the cones to make them not wiggle so much.

I like that they are adjustable so I can make them the best height for each machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Embroidex-Adjustable-Single-Thread-Holder/dp/B01HQIVC8C/####?keywords=Sewing+Thread+stand&qid=1579581401&sr=8-3

latterberry

Jan-21

I have one at every machine too, but I just made my own.  I had some small clay flower pots that I painted and filled with plaster of paris. Before the plaster set I inserted a piece of metal hanger that I straightened out with a little loop at the top.  

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-21

judyinohio said:

Aurifil is crosswound on the spool.

Also why does that make a difference whether the spool sits upright or horizontal?

judyinohio

Jan-21

Sit at your vintage Singer machine and unthread a spool of Aurifil from the needle. Slowly tug on the Aurifil and watch the spool as you drag the thread through it's various loops and tension gizmos and then pick up speed as you drag the thread with your fingers.  Watch how the Aurifil spool begins to wobble on the thread spindle because of how the thread travels up and down on the spool due to it being cross wound.

An old Coats & Clark type spool that is "stacked" with thread does not develop a "wobble" and there is no threat of the thread looping  on itself on the spindle.

nylaagain

Jan-21

Is that why I keep breaking the Aurifil on my old Singers? It has to feed from the bottom vs from the back?