Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Interesting evolution   General Discussion

Started Feb-21 by sueinIL; 493 views.
sueinIL

Feb-21

I took 3 quilts to my long-arm quilter this morning.  They were all different:  one in Christmas prints, one in black, white and grays, one the book cover quilt I just finished in lots of happy kid colors.  And the backings were very different, too.  I ended up choosing 3 quilting patterns and one color, gray.  It ended up being the best color for all 3 tops.  Kris said that when she started in the machine quilting business, it was always cream, tan, and ivory threads.  Now it's almost exclusively gray shades.  I just thought it was interesting that our idea of neutral seems to have changed over time.  True for you?

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Feb-21

Well i use cream a lot too. I've been working on finishing a churn dash quilt from 2014 and the backing is pink. I"m debating finding pink thread or caring if it is cream or what ever. it just needs more quilting and binding. right now i'm on two pillows to go with it and doing them in gray mostly.
bornblesse2

Feb-21

Maybe because there are a lot more the tones of gray fabric available ?   Yes, gray is used much more often.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-21

When I got my Innova, I was advised to get a cone of Glide's "Khaki" color.  It's kind of an old gold color.  I was doubtful but ... holy moley! ... that color goes with everything!   Now I make sure that I am NEVER out of that color!

sueinIL

Feb-21

Pirate, I use a color like that for piecing.  It seems to hide better in all except very light prints.  Every time there's a thread sale, I buy another one.

Sue in IL

Mishii

Feb-22

I love Glide's khaki...it really is the perfect blender.

LindaPutt

Feb-23

Mine too Shelley - my go to is called Camel, & is probably very similar, just in another brand. 

In reply toRe: msg 6

need to give you mine cone of So Fine then.  I bought it and haven't used it even once.  Always seem to pick gray something or other.

Mishii

Feb-24

I switch between grey and khaki usually.  I have light grey, medium grey, dark grey....heh.  The khaki initially looks like a bright gold, but it is amazing how well it blends.

I think it's because Grey is the new "in" color. It was Taupe, and before that Beige...but I'll tell you, I use a light beige for piecing, and for quilting, typically something that hides well, though sometimes something that pops...depends on the quilt. :D