Latest 7/13/20 by bornblesse2
Latest 11:02 AM by Midkid5
Latest 2:41 AM by tuckyquilter
Latest Aug-10 by tuckyquilter
Latest Aug-8 by KSCarolyn
Latest Aug-5 by LABFIEND
Latest Jul-25 by MelRN
Latest Jul-23 by Mishii
Latest Jul-21 by LABFIEND
Latest Jul-21 by bornblesse2
Latest Jul-20 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jul-19 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Jul-19 by viola (sissly4)
Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:
However, if you choose different colored fabrics, it can make picking the contrast easier because you don't always have the best dark/med/light in one color family, whereas, you CAN get that contrast with different colors.
Don't forget to look at the backside of the fabric.................amazing the contrast that can give. Not all backside works but some sure do.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:
WAY TO GO!
With my ruler I was able to cut 3" triangles (finished) and went from there and the side are 1" but I may cut them down to 3/4" and see how that looks..............using the notches from the triangles I was able to make this entirely by machine without pinning................slicker than hound dog slobber...........and I have a hound dog so I can attest to how slick that is! Thanks for the tips! Measured from one side to opposite side is 10 1/2 unfinished and one tip to the opposite 12" unfinished. I think that will be a pretty good size for my wall hanging..................I am way to lazy to make a trillion of these in a small size by hand :/ but I am willing to do applique by hand and need to get back to that vine border I was planning for the tree of life quilt...............I have the vine fabric cut but need to use my bias maker tool and sew it together and press it so I can start working on that..............my forever project!
Welcome to the rabbit hole--your block looks great! I must be doing something wrong though. All I did was look at the picture and kind of going from there. 2 sizes of rhombus pieces?? Ooops, all I did was sew a straight strip on the side that extended and inch or so beyond the side, then used the ruler to trim it. Oh well, it is working for me so I better not try to confuse myself.
Ooops, all I did was sew a straight strip on the side that extended and inch or so beyond the side, then used the ruler to trim it. Oh well, it is working for me so I better not try to confuse myself.
Lynne there is nothing wrong with the way you did your pieces.............that works fine as well. The ruler I have was perfect but if I did not have it I would likely do it the same you you did. It was a fun little project to make and I am going to try another in a different size and see how that goes before I forage into the project I have in mind.
It is a fun little challenge to sew these little blocks up, kinda like a puzzle to figure it all out.
It is like a puzzle. The block is not hard to put together, but getting the right fabrics in the right places takes some thought. At least for me it does. I got a few more made and see that the yellow didn't turn out as well. They looked OK when up close to my face.
Lynne, those look terrific! I think the yellow ones look fine; much better result than my peach one.
Picking those right contrasting colors *is* tricky! Shades you think will work fine turn out to be unsuitable when assembled.
Are you going to make more smaller versions?
Oh, and then, when I was looking at how you had placed the blocks, I can see an arrangement where they are definitely *tumbling * across the background!
Thanks! Yes, I'm done with the big ones and will go for the little ones. It is hard to stop making them--you just want to keep trying color combinations. I was just tossing the blocks on the floor as I made them. No plans. Now when I go to actually place them I'll have fits.
Lynne your growing collection looks great...........the yellow looks fine in the photo. I noticed with mine you see it better across the room or in a photo. I like the one where you used different colors.
I plan to work on some more soon too and also plan on trying some different sizes.
Yesterday I worked on a pair of pants I cut out the day before. I want to finish the pants before I work on anything else and I have to change the thread in the sewing machine, also have had the pants planned since I got the fabric in February at retreat (will since I got the pattern last fall). Will reward myself by sewing up a few of the blocks.........that will not stop me from picking out fabrics and cutting them out so they are ready to go. I am trying to do a little sewing every day and am making a dent in my stash of fabric.