Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Have an Heirloom Quilt From a Long-Gone Family Member?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started 3/23/21 by judyinohio; 3005 views.
In reply toRe: msg 37

This is the only block without a signature.  

judyinohio

3/24/21

I love this quilt!!!!!!  There is so much sentiment stitched into it!!

May I venture a guess that the colored pieces represent hearts and so perhaps this quilt is meant to suggest that it is a going away gift for someone who is getting married and moving away? 

(Did my imagination just run away with me?)

Well, she never did "go away" from where she lived for many years, in southwestern Oklahoma.  She was born in North Texas in 1890, and I'm not sure when they moved to Oklahoma, but it was before 1930, because that is when my grandfather died at the age of about 38.  She was 2 years older than he was.  She was 22 when they married, and then after 18 years of marriage, she was widowed at about age 39, and became the sole support of 6 surviving children, the oldest born in 1913, and the youngest born in 1928.  She never remarried, and died in 1982 at age 92.  One baby boy born in December 1916 died in January 1917 - never named.  She refused to ever speak about it for the rest of her life, even to her other children.  Then another son was killed in an auto accident in 1935, when he was about 13.  She lived in the same house in Carter, Oklahoma for a LONG time.   

I don't know what the occasion was that they made this quilt for her in 1938 - by that time she had been a widow for several years, and her youngest child was 10 years old.  I would love to know more about it.  I sometimes ask my older cousin, but she knows less about it than I do.  However, she will probably know a lot of the other people whose names are on the quilt, as she lived in that same little town too for several years, and back then, in such a small town, everybody knew everybody.  I have a message in to her right now to see how many she remembers.    

I *think* this may be one of the blocks that is sometimes called "Hearts and Gizzards."  So, yeah, they do kinda look like hearts with flat sides.  

LABFIEND

3/24/21

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

and the binding was done by wrapping the backing to the top side, and hand-stitching in place. 

One of my quilt guild members, an older lady (unlike myself-LOL) said that is the way many were bound back in the day.

judyinohio

3/24/21

Perhaps she was ill (or had surgery) and this was made as a "get well" gift to help her recover from the illness. Or to feel better after a loss of a child or something like that.

We will never know but there certainly was a lot of love involved in making that wonderful signed quilt.

Yeah, I know some people still do it that way, but I think it was more common in earlier days.  

In reply toRe: msg 45

This is the quilt block that was made by my great-aunt Sarah Jane Shelton.  This is Sarah (green dress) with my grandmother, Katie Leoma Shelton Mathews ("Oma," in the pink dress), taken in Carter, Oklahoma on Mother's Day 1974. 

Amazing facts about Sarah.  She was born in 1888 and died in 1989 at 101, and at the time of her death, she had been in a nursing home for more than 25 years.  She was about 85 in this photo in 1974, when we were there for Mother's Day and took her out for a little while to visit my grandmother and some other relatives.  Sarah and Oma were full sisters, but they had several other half-siblings with a different mother.  They also had another sister - either a half-sister or step-sister, Pearl, on their mother's side of the family.  Information is sparse, and I haven't figured out the exact relationships yet.  Sarah never married, and Pearl outlived or divorced a couple of husbands, and then moved in with Sarah and lived there until she died - I believe in the mid-1960s.  When I was a kid, we would go visit them and they seemed like 100 years old even back THEN.  Pearl was older, and a little scary to me, but she was just very quiet because she was very old, had almost no teeth, and would just sit and rock and dab at the corners of her mouth with her hanky.  I was fascinated by her pierced ears and with her habit of dipping snuff.  I never saw so many empty snuff jars as there were under their kitchen sink.  No idea what they were saving them for.  LOL