Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Applique clock   Show and Tell

Started 4/11/21 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1267 views.
Mishii

4/11/21

Love this!  Might need to steal this idea. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/11/21

it was very easy.  I looked at several videos & blogs that were helpful, though there wasn't one particular. 

A couple of additional notes though.  The mechanisms at hobby lobby seemed a bit pricy and no better quality than just purchasing one of Walmarts and taking it apart - I used this one as I already had it.  It h ad 6 tiny screws to remove and then the mechanism was just a small friction clip - easy.  Taking the hands off required fingernails but I did modified it several times and they didn't bend but I was careful.

I also discovered you definitely will need to put some sort of support to keep the mechanism level & secure on the back, otherwise it droops and the hands rub the fabric.  One blog suggested a thin strip of wood which I used.  At first I just used hot glue thinking the mechanism was so light it would be ok, but it still sagged with the weight of the battery. 

I did not quilt mine, figuring the black fabric wouldn't show the quilting anyway. I used tear away stabilizer on the back to help with the zigzagging so it is pretty stiff.  I then stretched it over an inexpensive canvas frame from Hobby Lobby.

How fun. Very colorful and cheerful!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

4/14/21

Love it!  When I saw the fabrics you were going to use, I wondered.  Should have trusted you.  It looks great.  I misunderstood your post of where that multicolored diamond fabric was going to go.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/14/21

thanks Cathy.  I am discovering that the hands don't show up as well as I wish (old eyes).  I have some silver spray paint - I'm thinking of trying that but I'm a little nervous that they won't work as well if I do.  either that or I may get a different mechanism with brass colored hands.  I think I probably shouldn't have used the black checkered fabric.  But I've had it in my stash for years and never seem to get to use it though I love it.  Ah well.

judyinohio

4/14/21

I agree that adding the weight of more paint might slow down the clock.

Could you find an inexpensive clock mechanism with white hands?  I found this artsy clock on Etsy some years ago and while it is not a precise to-the-exact-minute clock, it is good enough for my purpose in the sewing room  (As in, "Hey, it's time to think about fixing dinner."  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes)  White hands are very visible at a quick glance  IMHO.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/14/21

hmm, I wonder if just putting a bit of white paint on the tips would do it?  somehow when I look at it I feel like I need to squint.  Though the black contrasts with the white star in the center, somehow they blend in with the black zigzag outside.  I also am thinking the black background is too dark.  Or maybe it's just too busy.  I need to live with it for a while.

judyinohio

4/14/21

White tips on black hands sound like an excellent idea.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

4/14/21

it's the little things - literally littlesmiley