Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

two "smacking head" moments   General Discussion

Started May-10 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 226 views.

Guess all the shortcuts and tricks we figure out take time and much working to discover.

Sounds like a very productive time.

I cut 3 kits to take to the retreat. One is a finished quilt. The second is a pile of blocks and is waiting for me to complete another quilt. The last is in pain sight and I will not start it till I finish the 2nd into a top.

In reply toRe: msg 2

I guess the trick from doing the 3 above kits was one huge fabric pull using the same color theme. This saved a ton of time not having to pull out the fabric 3 times.

The idea of making up kits was from Dee. Just seeing her come to retreats with carefully organized kits and leaving with beautiful tops!

tuckyquilter

May-10

Way to go Dee.  I learn new stuff all the time too. 

I use my 4" Easy Angle ruler to cut triangles for HST or Snowball corners.  A tiny drop of Elmers on each sewing end, lay it on the rectangle or whatever it's going on and it holds in place perfectly. 

I do label the top block of each column on my design wall.   I hate pins so I stack each column side by side and then sew them together, column by column. Since they are numbered I know exactly which column stack to grab next.   I'm all into faster, easier ways.  

bornblesse2

May-10

There is always more to learn with all the quilts we make!  And the organizing and short cuts are always the hardest parts!  I always try to share those things when teaching classes, as patterns almost never teach those things.

I tend to like doing things in batches.  Pulling fabric for multiple quilts at once definitely saves time.  Refolding all those fabrics is not my favorite part of quilting, so I like to cut multiple quilts at once and only fold once.  

that's a good tip with the glue.  I do have a tenancy to wobble at the beginning and end of a seam.

I made these flannel flags years ago and they stick pretty well, but sometimes they stick to the back of another block.  I use little applique pins so they don't catch on things, but they are fiddly and I can't pin on the design wall, I end up catching the design wall.