Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Starting on a Mini Dresden Rainbow Project   General Discussion

Started Sep-14 by judyinohio; 815 views.
judyinohio

Sep-14

After claiming that I am done making large quilts because I am getting too old and creaky to shove large projects around under the needle I decided to tackle a tiny project. This is a kit I purchased from a woman in Canada and it just might turn out to be as tricky as a large quilt. I have presented myself with a challenge of a different type.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Here's a photo of the small quilt; finished size is 16" x 21".  It also came in a pastel colorway but I preferred the bolder colors.

Opened the packet with the fabrics and there were one hundred and seventy 2.5" pre-cut squares. I have to trace template shapes for each color grouping .... and now I am tracing the templates on to the red squares.

Thank goodness I do not have a deadline!

I have made up some "kits" for stitching soup bowl caddies because my supply of those has dwindled. Like to have those on hand as spur-of-the-moment gifts for visitors to my sewing room and stitching on those will be a break from any tediousness of future stitching on the Dresden points ...

• Edited September 14, 2021 12:40 pm  by  judyinohio
5dogmom (CRISR5)

Sep-14

It is going to be MARVELOUS, Judy.  As usual!

Cris in MT

judyinohio

Sep-14

I hope I enjoy the process, Cris. Looks like fun but it all depends on how I like "fiddlling" with lining up all of the small pieces in perfect rows ... might give me the heebie-jeebies.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-14

oh!  oh!  I *saw* that pattern on one of my FB quilting sites!   I not only thought of you (because of the color wheel aspect) but also, as I think I remember (don't hold me to that these days) the poster was saying this would be a perfect pattern for English Paper Piecing!  And given the picture, I believe any competent quilter could make it any size they wanted.

And speaking of size!  Holy moley ... 16"x21"  yeah, you're definitely not making a large quilt!  LOL!  As you have surmised, smaller quilts have their own challenges.  :-)

It's going to be absolutely gorgeous when you're done!

judyinohio

Sep-14

Any competent quilter, eh?

I do believe that's a challenge.

judyinohio

Sep-14

If there's anything I like it is encouragement from a friend ....

In reply toRe: msg 7
judyinohio

Sep-14

Here's proof of enough tracing and trimming for one day. My right thumb is tingling, a reminder of why I do not do English paper piecing.

However, the jumble of trimmings does show that Berry Birdy packs a delightful assortment of ditsy prints in her kits.

A glance at the clock tells me it is time to work on dinner.

MelRN

Sep-16

Looking good! Take a break :D 

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-16

do you have a point turner tool? one of my friends bought one of these at Road a couple of years ago...it makes really pointy points...

https://www.qualitysewing.com/oesd-expert-point-press-tool.html  - I have not ordered from this shop...you probably can find this tool at whatever shop you usually buy from