Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Having a dilemma with color   General Discussion

Started Sep-27 by sueinIL; 852 views.
5dogmom (CRISR5)

Sep-27

Water color pencils work great and can be layered and repeated if different effects are desired.

Cris in MT

sueinIL

Sep-27

Oh Wow!  She does beautiful work!  I think I'm up more for dropping the pale color on the fabric rather than spritzing it.  Up at the top of the panel, there is just scattered "sky" between the leaves,  not large areas.  

If you'd like to see the panel with the added borders, go to the RobertKauffman site and look for Wildwood Grace.  The pattern is free, you just need the panel and whatever borders (including one of 9-patch leaves) you want.

Thank you!

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Sep-27

Hmmm.  I don't know about water color pencils.  Do you color in an area and then wet it?  Sounds interesting.  Thank you for suggesting it.  

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Sep-27

Cris, I just watched a youtube video about water color pencils.  They are really neat!  If I go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's, can I buy the pencils one at a time, or do they come in sets?  I think the effect is just what I wanted, and I can decide which spaces I want the blue in.  Thank you so much!

Sue in IL

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Sep-27

Not sure if the pencils are sold one at a time.  I bought a set of 24, but with the layering technique, you can really achieve any shade you want.

Cris in MT

sueinIL

Sep-27

This is a little different process than the video I watched earlier.  It uses "extender" rather than water to blend the penciled areas. As a beginner, I think I'll go for the easier method with water. Thank you for your help. A trip to Michaels is now on the to-do list.

Sue in IL

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Sep-28

Does the water treatment make it colorfast/permanent like the extender?

Cris in MT

sueinIL

Sep-28

Cris, I'm not sure that it does.  This quilt will probably never be washed, though, so the permanence doesn't bother me. I want it to look like a pretty fall day, so the all- white wintery sky just didn't do it!  Today I'm putting on 4 borders, and they're being a pitb.

Sue in IL

I would think that it would need to be heat-set to make it colorfast.  However, since it will be a wall hanging and you do not intend to wash it, that's apparently not a priority.

I will be interested to see this project when you are done!