Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Having a dilemma with color   General Discussion

Started Sep-27 by sueinIL; 848 views.
sueinIL

Sep-27

Cris, I just watched a youtube video about water color pencils.  They are really neat!  If I go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's, can I buy the pencils one at a time, or do they come in sets?  I think the effect is just what I wanted, and I can decide which spaces I want the blue in.  Thank you so much!

Sue in IL

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Sep-27

Not sure if the pencils are sold one at a time.  I bought a set of 24, but with the layering technique, you can really achieve any shade you want.

Cris in MT

sueinIL

Sep-27

This is a little different process than the video I watched earlier.  It uses "extender" rather than water to blend the penciled areas. As a beginner, I think I'll go for the easier method with water. Thank you for your help. A trip to Michaels is now on the to-do list.

Sue in IL

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Sep-28

Does the water treatment make it colorfast/permanent like the extender?

Cris in MT

sueinIL

Sep-28

Cris, I'm not sure that it does.  This quilt will probably never be washed, though, so the permanence doesn't bother me. I want it to look like a pretty fall day, so the all- white wintery sky just didn't do it!  Today I'm putting on 4 borders, and they're being a pitb.

Sue in IL

I would think that it would need to be heat-set to make it colorfast.  However, since it will be a wall hanging and you do not intend to wash it, that's apparently not a priority.

I will be interested to see this project when you are done!  

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-28

if you use InkTense pencils, once you put the water on and it dries...its permanent.

less fuss than using the extender....

sueinIL

Sep-29

Thanks for that information, Suze.  I have to look for what is available around me, or order from amazon.  What you've described is what I hoped I could do to make a blue sky above the birches.

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-29

I know there has to be some place that sells single  InkTense pencils vs a complete set since a couple of classes I have taken have provided one in the materials.

I have had a lot of fun with the set though!