Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

20th ANNUAL VALLEY OF THE SUN QUILTING RETREAT Feb 24-27-2022   News and Announcements

Started 10/29/21 by KSCarolyn; 58931 views.
In reply toRe: msg 323
lppenguins

Jan-8

Hi Ladies,

as you know we usually play a couple                 of sets of the LCR game 1 with 3 - $1 bills        and 1 with 3 FQ. Staying with our                   “20th Reunion” theme we’d like you to try to find any or all of the following FQ. 
1. Lillies

2. Muted Silver (not grey)

3. Emerald

happy hunting!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-8

Cathy (cacnurse1) said...

We will be having a Right/left story again this year.  We will be passing a quilting notion or tool

Sounds like fun!  I got the coolest project bag from Cathy Shunn last year!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-8

Those two swap blocks look mighty purty there Ellen.

I don't know the name of the pattern, but if you will notice, all it is is rectangles that are half black and half bright.  (Then a black inner border and a HST middle border, and another black outer border.  I will see if I can find out the name.

In reply toRe: msg 326
Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-9

I just haven't been keeping up here like I usually do or like I should.  It doesn't mean I am any less looking forward to the retreat.  I guess I just ran out of gas after Christmas.  My goodness...  I've internalized that it is just not fun or easy to travel at the Christmas holiday time.  When I was a kid we never further than across town or sometimes 2 hours away.  We flew to ATL for DJ's graduation on 12/18.  But we went a couple of days early to help move him from his dorm to his new "cottage" in Huntsville.  We stayed up the night we arrived until after 3AM getting his stuff out and packed into our vehicle.  Then it was up early after a few hours of sleep and into the car again to drive to Huntsville.  DJ signed his lease and got the keys and we began unloading so we could go shopping.  DJ wanted to but a TV, bed, stools for his counter and other seeming necessities.  We loaded and unloaded once again and finished just before the rain began to really come down. 

After staying overnight nearby we finished the shopping and ordering and then were back on the road to get back to ATL.  Saturday morning was a memorable graduation.  DJ and his friend Chris were sitting very close to where we could see them well and were some of the early graduates to walk the platform from the College of Engineering.  The football field had hundreds of chairs set out across the whole field for the students.  The far side of the field was all the various Colleges at GA Tech and the close side of the field was all the Engineering students.  As we waited anxiously the sky began to darken and look more threatening.  So the first many rows of students began to walk and they all kept moving faster as the first drops began to fall.  The students were all cheering and yelling things like "I made it through having to do classes online during a pandemic...  I'M WALKING ACROSS THAT PLATFORM!"  And, "I've done everything to get here!  No RAIN is going to prevent me from walking!"  It just got crazy as thunder and lightening hit next.  Then everyone was asked to clear the stands and stadium as it began raining in torrents!  We couldn't even see clearly across the field any longer.  The students that planned ahead had clear plastic ponchos over their robes and DJ had gotten us ponchos too.  I was sitting in the rain at my great seat and stayed there and just got soaked.  I figured we'd all worked hard to be there to see our students enjoy their finish and special day we were going to enjoy the heck out of it!!!

By the time the 3 of us all found our way back to our hotel we were all ready for dry clothes and lunch!  It was a crazy, busy, fun weekend and we all 3 made it back to CA the Monday before Christmas.  I still had a few gift cards to purchase and we still had to buy the roast for Christmas dinner but we got it all together.  I was just exhausted and then my back was hurting.  I think the stress of everything and then trying to do so much after we arrived home.  I've been in lots of pain so I've been living on Tyl and Iburprofen alternatingly.  DJ returned to Huntsville to begin work 1/4/22 so we've been helping him pack to get his stuff moved.  He did the most before he left but I've been working on shoveling out the leftovers and either putting it in his POD or in the trash.  We've made 2 donation trips to Savers and it's getting done!  Somedays I just have to sit on a folding chair and reach and sort.  I have found tons of Legos, Nerf darts and COLOR CRAYONS!!!  My stars the color crayons, colored pencils, pens and regular pencils!!!  I NEVER realized how many a kid accumulates over the years.  Especially when each teacher, each year in grade school wants every kid to have a new box of crayons, pencils, felt pens and writing pens!  Seriously!  It is ridiculous!!!  (OK, I'm done ranting.)

But...  onto the retreat!!  I plan to bring the fabrics, Ellen, you sent for Denise's new baby grandson's quilt.  I'll try to get it started but perhaps some others can help me get that finished so I can leave it with you or go ahead and bring it home to quilt.  We'll talk during retreat! 

That's enough from me for catch up.  I'd better go look up swap blocks and get some fabric out.  

bornblesse2

Jan-9

Judy, I thought of that quilt just last week.  And yes, I bet Patti or Shelley could help you get that together!  Patti has creative layout ideas, and Shelley can sew up a storm.

i am getting the last quilt quilted in the next 2 weeks and it may need binding at the retreat….I am knee deep in my Dear Jane and overflowing stash.

Mishii

Jan-9

This is the post in the Texas Quilters Group thatViola was talking about. I’m sure every state has one.

I am so humble this morning and the response from yesterday and during the night!!! We are at 534 assigned as of this morning!! We just had another sign up. Today is Jan 6th and this started with an email request on 10/6th from Hunter to our guild to see if we could make 1 quilt and pillowcase!!! I shared his request with Texas Quilters Group that has more than 13,000 members and I created a Forest Fire of responses!!! Praise the Lord!!!
Special Thanks to Rio Grande Quilt Guild take took 36 Quilt Gifts last night!!!!!!
Students Assigned
Region 1 55 11 Lubbock
Region 2 25 10 Abilene
Region 3 98 131 DFW
Region 4 35 28 Tyler
Region 5 16 11 Beaumont
Region 6 95 80 Houston
Region 7 85 117 Austin
Region 8 105 66 San Antonio
Region 9 42 10 Midland
Region 10 20 20 El Paso
Region 11 46 51 Edinburg
Total 622 535
86%
87 to goal
If, you want to get involved send me an email fgradstx@gmail.com and I will send you all the details.
This could never been so successful of a launch without Texas Quilters Group!!!

Mishii

Jan-9

I have a bolt (!) of bright blue. I could bring some of that. Let me know how much if you think that will work.
viola (sissly4)

Jan-9

I will try and sent you a email about the quilts. Or you can send it to me. purplesew10522@yahoo.com

viola yoder