Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have You Made Something For Your First (Imaginary) Great-Grandchild Yet?   General Discussion

Started 11/12/21 by judyinohio; 1066 views.
Suze (casuzenn)

11/12/21

My Omi (Granny) made several quilts for my children's children before she passed. One was made of a very silky fabric and my granddaughter (my son's first baby) loved it to pieces. The other is tucked away for my daughter, if she ever has a baby.

I think this is a wonderful tradition. I was an older mom at 40 with my first child so my two daughters are still pretty young and I am just hoping for grandchildren. I should go thru my finished quilts and tops and see if there are any candidates for grands and great grands. 

judyinohio

11/12/21

It's nice to know I'm causing  you to look at your stash of finished quilts and tops with an eye toward reserving at least one for your first "grand".  Just don't tell a daughter, though, but put it aside as a secret gift ...   certainly don't want to give a kid any ideas.  LOL

latterberry

11/13/21

I remember when you were making  that lovely quilt. In fact, I see some Illinois black and whites in there.  Many years ago I made a quilt out of my mom's embroidered linens with the intention of it being for my DD's wedding.  Well, she is still single so I'll just put a note on it for her to have it when I'm gone.  She  is the only one of my three that puts sentimental value on things.  It was way too much work and too big  to leave to a great grandchild to drag around.  I love your plan to prepare for a great--I may have to think of doing that too.

judyinohio

11/13/21

I'm glad I put that "bee in your bonnet".  With all the charity quilts you have made for children it is time for you to make something special to tuck away  for your first great-grandchild.

Hide it in the back of a linen closet.

MelRN

11/13/21

What a sweet story! And I love your new version :D 

MelRN

11/13/21

Suze, off toppic, but what language is Omi? I don't recognize it! :D 

In reply toRe: msg 12
Suze (casuzenn)

11/13/21

German... Formal term is Oma  meaning Grandmother (Opa being the term for Grandfather) Omi is the equivalent of Granny. I never got to met my Opa - he passed before my parents got married.

My Omi was a very prolific charity quilter - she lead a group from her church called the Dorcas which met at her house once a month for intensive scrap quilting...a couple of ladies would cut out the material - they used scissors and cardboard templates, a couple of ladies would sew the squares together - she had at least 5 sewing machines set up in her double-wide, and when the ladies sewing would get done with a quilt, they pushed her  furniture in the living room to the edges and batted, backed and tied the quilts. They would pin the edge into a knife edge and back to the sewing machine it would go. Very efficient!

MelRN

11/13/21

Ah. I would have recognized Oma and Opa. Thanks :D 

Judy (DJZMOM)

11/13/21

So thoughtful.  So brightly colored.  So well thought through.  Nice GG!!