Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fine on a bed--not in the kitchen   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Apr-19 by latterberry; 1474 views.
latterberry

Apr-21

I think I would go cross-eyed in there! 

someone has too much Talevera tile (a Mexican tile very popular around Santa Fe).  They even put it in the toe space and looks like on the front of the drawers - hmmmm.  I used a blue & white tile as an accent in our kitchen remodel in Santa Fe - all blue & white including blue grout - that wasn't practical either.  I learned the hard way, never ever have a tile counter in a kitchen. 

latterberry

Apr-22

Each tile is really pretty, just too much of it.  I don't think I would like tile on my kitchen counters either.  I'm way too messy.

re tile on counters, I didn't realize how often you use your hand or a towel to wipe a counter.  the grout lines catch every little bit of "stuff" and then make it very difficult to wipe it off.  And OH MY a dark blue grout - and flour.  or salt.  or anything.  And a dark blue porcelain sink.   I think that kitchen is what caused me to be OCD about cleaning a kitchen because I was constantly cleaning that one.  And it was before kids.  I can just imagine what it would have been like with two teenagers cooking.  but it sure was pretty.  white tile floor, white tile counters, blue on white backsplash, and blond walnut cabinets.  and wildly unpractical - I feel bad for the person who bought the house after us.  I'm sure they tore out that tile before too long.  Or at least the counter.

Your blue sink and tiles sounds beautiful but maintaining and using it not so much. 

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-22

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I didn't realize how often you use your hand or a towel to wipe a counter.  the grout lines catch every little bit of "stuff" and then make it very difficult to wipe it off. 

Ohh...agreed! I have very light almond colored tile with white grout (that needs re-grouting)

I have often thought about what I could do to 'level up' the cracks but I haven't come up with an answer. 

But, I love my tile.

I would really love to replace my stainless steel sink, which was already old and worn out when I bought this place 2 years ago.  The water is so hard here, it shows every hard water spot.  I have tried every kind of cleaning product to clear them up, but at this stage nothing really helps.  I would love to get one of those sinks made out of some material (composite?) that looks like granite, kind of gray speckled with black flecks or something, with a flat finish instead of shiny.  Same principle as when buying carpet - get something that won't show the dirt so much.  LOL  

judyinohio

Apr-22

Surely there is a company in your area that will install the water filtration equipment to soften your water. How can you stand to take showers, do the laundry, etc. in such hard water? (We have very hard water here in our county and we have "tanks" in our basement that I joke look like leftover torpedoes from submarines from WW II.)

Many would not recommend this. I have hard water as well and a stainless steel sink in the kitchen, I scrub it with the green part of my scrub sponge........yes I know they say not to do that but the sink stays shiny. If it is real bad you can use something soft like a plastic scraper to scrape away a lot of the scum first. 

latterberry

Apr-23

Your former kitchen sounds very pretty, but I bet those counters were a pain to clean. I watch a lot of HGTV or those renovation shows and when people are looking at a place that has tile counters, that is the first thing they want to do over.