Preparedness -  Evacuation (170 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: jkirajass  (1 of 5) 

SPAM deleted and poster locked out — do not respond to him.

Content changed

_________

Evacuating? Check your homeowners’ policy
for pleasant and unpleasant surprises, first

by 
16 Feb 17

Though it’s not really in the news here in the States, Christchurch, NZ is currently being evacuated as wildfires ravage the area. You can follow the updates live.

Here in the US, it’s not fire but water that is driving folks from their homes, with the Oroville Dam in CA under threat.

And then there’s always the possibility of other localized natural or man-made disasters, even civil unrest or war, necessitating a bug-out to an alternate location.

Regardless of the reason, everyone should be prepared to evacuate if they have to. I am definitely, absolutely setting aside a little time each day to work on evacuation preps. As I mentioned a few days ago, my prepping this year is all around organization, training, and mental preparedness, vs. just buying yet more stuff. I’m “shopping” in my own closet and garage in order to put together an evacuation kit for the family. I recommend to anyone that you do the same, regardless of where you live.

Another thing you should do is check your homeowner’s insurance to see if hotel bills from mandatory evacuation are covered. According to FEMAsome policies do cover living expenses for mandatory evacuation, so you’ll want to know if you’re covered beforehand. You’ll also need to have all your insurance info on-hand with you in case of an evacuation.

You can buy waterproof and fireproof document containers online, and you should also have scans of all your insurance info and important docs on both your smartphone and a cloud backup service. (If you use something like Apple’s Photos app, or Dropbox, you can do both at the same time.)

Finally, it’s important to know that most (all?) home insurance policies do not cover firearms by default. You typically have to add a rider to them that covers your gun collection explicitly. I’m always surprised at how few gun owners know this. Most only find out when they’ve lost their guns and file a claim, only to be told that the guns weren’t covered.

You never know when you’re gonna have to bail. It pays to be ready and know what kind of benefits your homeowners’ policy entitles you to.

• Edited February 19, 2017 5:35 am  by  EdGlaze

Reply   Options 

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/19/17 5:54 AM 
To: All  (2 of 5) 
 1837.2 in reply to 1837.1 
  • Edited February 20, 2017 12:27 pm  by  EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/19/17 6:09 AM 
To: All  (3 of 5) 
 1837.3 in reply to 1837.2 

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-2 8:14 AM 
To: All  (4 of 5) 
 1837.4 in reply to 1837.3 

Where Would a Million People Go?
Cities have gotten to big to evacuate.
Posted 28 Aug 17 in Survival by Kevin Felts

As Hurricane Harvey floods the greater Houston area, people are asking, why didn’t Houston evacuate?

Houston has a history of flooding. A thunderstorm that last a full day is enough to flood certain areas. Predictions said Harvey was going to stall. From there, forecasters were not sure what was going to happen. Even if forecasters did not know where Harvey was going after landfall, one thing was for sure, Houston was going to flood.

So, why not call for an evacuation?

The question we need to ask, where are the four million people of Harris County supposed to go? Rather than four million, let’s say one million people needed to evacuate. Where are one million people supposed to find shelter, eat, sleep… everything we do in our daily lives.

Hotels are out of the question. The flooding could continue for days; people may be out of their homes for weeks. Chances are, the vast majority of people evacuating can not afford to stay in a hotel for a week, or two weeks, much less pay for their food.

Set up a shelter? We have shelters large enough for a million people? We would need a 1,000 shelters holding 1,000 people each just to house a quarter of the people in Harris County. Dallas is setting up a mega shelter that will house an estimated 5,000 people. To shelter just a quarter of people in Harris County, we would need 200 of these “mega shelters”.

We have not mentioned the people in Galveston, Dickinson, Victoria or all the other places affected by Hurricane Harvey. 

[Ed adds: Living in south Texas for decades and going through several hurricanes we know during evacuations there is a problem of limited exit routes not already clogged by those most directly in the landfall path and then being followed by those inland who are threatened by flooding later. The widespread area of devastation, heavy rain, power outages, flooding, and limited accommodations leads to having to go ever further inland to find safe lodging.]

Big Picture

Once the flood waters go down, people will go home and start the rebuild process.

Where are millions of people supposed to go when a nuclear device is detonated in a major city? This does not have to be a detonation by a nation such as China or Russia. It could be a terrorist organization that was able to get a nuclear device into a shipping port.

Look at these natural disasters as a test run for a bigger problem. That problem is, when millions of people flee a city and are never able to go back. Where are a million people from New York supposed to go? What about Los Angeles?

Let’s hope there are never multiple nuclear detonations across the nation. If that were to happen, where do two or three million people go?

• Edited September 2, 2017 4:15 pm  by  EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-4 12:26 AM 
To: All  (5 of 5) 
 1837.5 in reply to 1837.4 

Often Overlooked Evacuation Items
When the evacuation order is given have everything ready
Posted 20 Feb 17 in Survival by Kevin Felts

When disaster hits and the evacuation order is given, what are some items people overlook? When it comes to prepping, the same items are talked about so much we start to overlook other stuff.

I call forgetting about other important items, “the can opener effect.” We get so focused on the big items that we forget about the small stuff.

Often Overlooked Items

Pillows and Blankets – During an evacuation roads can easily become blocked and traffic will grind to a stand still. Expect to spend the night in your vehicle. Pillows and blankets will help make sleeping in your vehicle a little more bearable.

If you and your family have to stay in a shelter, having your own pillows and blankets will help everyone involved. There is no promise that the shelter will have blankets and pillows for everyone.

These should not be not a king or queen sized blankets, more like a twin size. Blankets can be found for relatively cheap and can be stored in a family sized bug out box. If the family has a pet, include something for it.

Road Map and compass – Technology is fine and dandy, as long as it works. Paper and compass do not require power, chargers, Internet connection, or anything else. During disasters, cell phone networks easily reach capacity. As a result, service will probably be intermediate.

If you and your family have to evacuate, please do not rely on 100% on technology. Have a real road map, compass and know how to use them.

Cell phone chargers – That one little cable left behind will cause a lot of stress and tension.

Keep a spare phone charger in the vehicle at all times.

Evacuation Personal Items

Quiet activities – Stuck in traffic for hours during an evacuation will tend to make tempers flare. Have some kind of activity to keep riders quiet. Reading, coloring, writing, mp3 player with ear buds, something to keep minds occupied.

When my parents took my brother and I on road trips in the 1970s, I would bring a stack of comic books. When we stopped at various gas stations, my parents would buy me more books.

Personal Hygiene – Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, hand sanitizer, individual sized shampoo, toilet paper, etc. Chances are the family will need to stop at a rest area. Expect their to be no toilet paper or soap in the bathrooms.

Comfort Items

Being on the road for hours or maybe even a couple of days, stuck in a shelter, and maybe staying at a friend or family members house is not a pleasant event.

Bring some items that provide comfort. Maybe a video game console, tablet, Kindle Fire, books, games, favorite snacks, something that provides comfort, eases the mind, and lowers stress.

What Did We Overlook

Is there anything that was overlooked?

Please keep in mind we are not discussing the typical prepping items. Having three days of food and water for everyone, clothes, medicine, titles, deeds, insurance papers, and family pictures should be common knowledge.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.