Preparedness -  Storms should get you in prepper mindset (111 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-31 7:23 PM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

Harvey and coming storms should get you in the prepper mindset… right now
by Sam Rolley
31 Aug 17

The current disaster unfolding along the Gulf Coast is a jolting reminder that survival preparedness is something you should never put off. It’s easy to tell yourself that you’ll stock up on non-perishable food items, water and other basic necessities when you have the time and extra money sitting around — but for far too many Americans, too late comes too soon.

Harvey is winding down, leaving Texas residents to pick up the pieces. But this is only the beginning of what looks to be an extremely active hurricane season. Worse yet, while the national media shifted 24-7 focus to hurricane coverage (as it will certainly be forced to again in coming weeks), international stability has continued to quietly deteriorate.

The potential for danger to your life, financial security and family’s well-being is everywhere. That reality, of course, shouldn’t consume you… what a miserable life that would create.

But would it hurt to take some small steps to protect yourself and your loved ones against uncertainty? Of course not. The thought of the alternative — facing a real natural or man-made disaster totally unprepared — should cause much more heartburn than the idea of spending a few hours and a few dollars on a self-made insurance policy that could mean the difference between life and death.

Here are a few extremely valuable resources to help you get started today. The best part is that much of what you need, you probably already have on hand — it’s just a matter of situating your survival cache for quick access in the event of emergency. Other things can be picked up relatively cheaply. Don’t wait until it’s too late.

Are You Prepared For Basic Survival?

You owe it to yourself to prepare for a hurricane or flooding

How to survive a hurricane

Survival plan should include finances, experts say

Investing In Survival

The big list of survival and homesteading tools

Finally, a printed copy of Bob Livingston’s How to Survive the Collapse of Civilization should have a place in every survival toolkit. It provides a compendium of the information above and a boatload of additional practical, actionable survival advice for all manner of disaster scenarios. Having the information in one place, in printed form is vital — because if you’ve ever had the misfortune of being involved in a mass disaster, you know that internet and cell phone connections will become overloaded or go offline altogether early on.

Pinterest image search: national preparedness month

Related discussions:

Hurricane Resources and Info

How to Survive A Disaster

September is National Preparedness Month

• Edited August 31, 2017 7:44 pm  by  EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-1 7:37 PM 
To: All  (2 of 3) 
 1905.2 in reply to 1905.1 

Are You Ready … for Anything?
by John Caile
1 Sep 17

Situational awareness has long been a fundamental tenet of self-defense, especially for those of us who carry firearms. After all, having a top-shelf gun on your hip, and possessing the skills to use it effectively, will mean little if you allow someone to sneak up behind you and whack you on the head with a tire iron.

All of us who carry should keep that in mind. Being constantly (and actively) aware is absolutely essential. If you keep your attention focused on everything that is happening around you, it is less likely that you will be caught off guard. Note: Being buried in your smart phone, texting or looking at cat videos is not a good tactical plan.

Hurricane Harvey illustrated another reality: that danger can come from a variety of sources. The devastation that the hurricane caused means that, even after the rains finally stop, it will be many months before things return to any semblance of normality, especially for residents of Houston.

We are often impressed with the way that hurricanes, floods, wildfires and tornados result in some of the most heroic and selfless acts of courage by both first responders and everyday folks. Harvey was no different, with numerous videos showing neighbors and even complete strangers helping those in need.

Unfortunately, however, in the wake of natural disasters, we occasionally see an uglier side of human behavior — that which can turn a bad situation into an even worse one. Having your house damaged or destroyed is traumatizing enough, but finding that someone has violated your personal space in order to profit from your misery is simply infuriating.

Depending on the climate where you live, take whatever preemptive steps you deem appropriate to protect yourself and your home from potential threats. Non-perishable food, water and ammo are also a good idea for your home and your car (you could get stranded). But don’t stop there.

At one time or another, most of us have heard some variation on the saying, “Always have a Plan B.” Special forces operators and military veterans would add, “…and a Plan C.” They will attest to the fact that no matter how meticulously you put together your Plan A, things on the ground will invariably change the dynamics … and seldom for the better. Give some thought to a backup plan (e.g. “What if we have to evacuate?”).

Chaos and disruption can come from a variety of causes. Knowing what is going on in your state, your city and even your neighborhood is a really good idea. The increasingly violent “protests” that have popped up across the nation should serve as a warning. Staying informed about such events can help you when creating your own “Plan B.”

A perfect example is what happened last Sunday. While most of the nation was watching the coverage of Hurricane Harvey, in Berkley, California (no surprise), “dueling” protestors got into violent confrontations with each other. Half a dozen people were injured, including some police officers, and 13 people were arrested.

It is clear that we live in a completely unpredictable world. From natural disasters to rioting “protestors,” it is virtually impossible to predict what you might encounter, which is why always being armed is simply common sense, even when merely running to the store for a carton of eggs. You just don’t know when you’re walking into something ugly.

So be ready. For anything. At all times.

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-14 3:09 PM 
To: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 1905.3 in reply to 1905.1 

I don't live in hurricane territory. Earthquakes are rare and small. A civil war is unlikely. A nuclear war is fatal. At an elevation of 2,000 feet floods are not likely. Being a desert hard rains are not expected. What should I prepare for?

In a catastrophe that destroys the infrastructure of business and government I would likely die soon anyway. I take a cup full of pills that would not be available. Having 25 years of freeze dried meals on hand would be pointless. In a flood I could not carry them with me. In an earthquake or war they would likely be taken from me anyway.

Okay, my son the survivalist, plans on living in a remote compound with his own power and water. He could use 25 years of meals. I have designed lighting that runs on 120 V AC or12 V DC. So he has highly efficient lighting besides candles.

He might survive. I would just kiss my ass goodbye. :-)

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.