Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Unstable chat - regular boots?   Technical Issues/Bugs

Started Jul-31 by edtNZ; 3659 views.
gunter

Aug-5

Streaming may then be related to this, perhaps hogging resources? 

Curious to know when the boots happen, is it for everyone at the same time?  If I understand this right, streaming is totally separate from the chat unit itself, just going through their  browsers.

Try some box wine if you haven't done so, there are some really good ones and not that expensive.

thanks for all the details ...

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Aug-5

gunter said:

Streaming may then be related to this, perhaps hogging resources?

It might be I have to test more

gunter said:

Curious to know when the boots happen, is it for everyone at the same time?

Nope in fact they've made a game out of who will get picked on by Delphi tonight and it seems to be a different person each time but almost always someone lol Except of course when I was there. The DJ (djrendercat) gave a good description and it sounds a lot like it was a long while back. With the chat program itself reconnecting and the member entering as a ghost (kidmagnet2) and leaving.

gunter said:

If I understand this right, streaming is totally separate from the chat unit itself, just going through their browsers.

Yes, which is why they ruled it out as a problem and did not add that detail. The two members I talked to last night have said that running CC cleaner helps and indeed deleting my temp files helped but only after closing and reopening the browser. I have not used CC cleaner before so I don't know if that is part of the process. too. It's happening across systems - different browsers and different OS and different media players. The guy using Linux is not going to be using Windows Media Player. When I had the hiccup in chat last night I was using VLC

Kakes2

Aug-5

Hi, may I interject my none technical observations on what may be happening.  As far as the streaming is concerned, we have offered music since Seniors opened in 2006, without booting being an issue. My personal opinion, and what I've observed, this recent problem seems to be a combination of what device the person is using along with browser, and OS and chat client. I use a desktop, Firefox, Windows 7 and zeta chat and only have been disconnected from chat 3 times over the past two months. Whereas, those using phones, iPads, Netbooks etc seem to be getting the boot over and over again.  Unfortunately,  edt is the only person in our room who is vocal about this problem.  You are correct in saying it's happening across systems but I cannot keep track of everyone's information to report here.  The old saying,  "You can lead a horse to water, but cannot make him drink" best describes what I am up against when advising those who complain night after night about an unstable connection.  We have several chatters who work at IT techs and one that owns his own business, and they have advised these folks night after night on what to do to no avail.

I would like to thank you for taking time out of your schedule to come into our room to "test" the bug. It's like anything else, the bug does not show up while you are there.  The only other information I can add is when this happens the person is booted from the room, immediately comes back in but sees a "disconnection message with a code" upon their return.  I only shows for the person being booted.  I believe in one of Edt previous messages here , he gave the message he sees.  Since I do not see it, I cannot give you an example. 

Once again , thank you so much for your help.

edtNZ

Aug-5

HI Gunter,

I have never associated the booting with streaming music in Seniors Hideaway.

For long periods I dont stream and still get booted.

Also I chat in Rockin' at the Dragons Lair, no music stream and get booted there too.

The streamed music is from a totally different server to Delphi.

Desktop PC. Windows 10 fully updated, i3 CPU 4 gig ram Firefox browser and zeta.

Regards edtNZ

In reply toRe: msg 27
gunter

Aug-6

edtNZ said:

For long periods I dont stream and still get booted.

That's what I was asking for.  There could be a problem with the newish chat program and streaming using too many of your computer resources, but your answer shows that's not what is happening.

thanks for the details ...

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Aug-6

I know how hard it is to get chatters to give details Kakes and you are fab at coming in and reporting for them.

I mimicked edtNZ's set up because one of mine is similar and reported an unexpected problem that occurred outside the chatroom. It's a long shot when something like that happens but it's worth looking into.

The last thing I'd want to do is intrude or upset you or your chatters. Sometimes having a set of eyes inside the room is helpful (plus I had fun chatting) even if no boots occur.

I can do some of my own testing in my own rooms with my various devices and accounts and maybe pick up something.

Kakes2

Aug-6

Hi Kid, please no one is upset about you wanting to help out.  I am thrilled that someone with your knowledge of how Delphi works is willing to take time and test this out for us.  You are always welcome to chat in our room, and are able to ask the right questions that may lead to a solution. So please do not feel you are intruding, because I do not feel that way nor anyone else. Our members are a fun loving group and always enjoy meeting new people.  Maybe someday I will be there too.  Again thank you so much for your help. :)

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Aug-6

Ok whew lol I should be able to pop in most evenings this week if the room is open. Not having a lot of luck chatting with myself but I have found two non-chat-related problems so not so not a bad day lol
Kakes2

Aug-6

Sure stop in anytime.  We are there every night most nights starting at 6PM est and 4PM est a few other nights.  Actually, tonight I am starting early and there now.  LOL

edtNZ

Aug-6

HI Gunter,

Yes, no streaming in Seniors Hideaway and still get booted.

And to reiterate the point I also chat in Rockin' at the Dragons Lair, with no streaming and get

booted there as well.

Thank You for your attention to this matter.

Regards edtNZ

UPDATE : Just ran Belarc Advisor to see if I had hyperthreading, I do. My desktop should be fine to multi task.

See results below...

3.33 gigahertz Intel Core i3 560
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
4096 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

• Edited August 6, 2017 10:23 pm  by  edtNZ