Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Friends   Navigating Delphi Forums

Started Feb-23 by RebeccahQP; 280 views.
RebeccahQP

Feb-23

Can someone explain to me what the "Friends" feature does, and why one might want to use it?  I know what a friend is in real life, obviously, and I know what it is (more or less) on Facebook.  I've been a  Free Delphi user for years without using the Friends feature -- I have Imaginary Internet Friends on several forums, and we communicate mostly in the forums and occasionally via PM, and some I've even met in real life.  But I recently received a Friend request from a forum participant I recognize but don't know well, and I want to know what the consequences are of accepting it or declining it.

Thanks,

Rebeccah

Kidmagnet

Feb-23

Really just a shortcut to their profile however...

If you choose to not accept private messages from everyone your friends can still send them to you.

RebeccahQP

Feb-23

Thanks, Kid.

Rebeccah

In reply toRe: msg 3
RebeccahQP

Feb-23

So, are other Delphi members able to see who my friends are, the way they can on Facebook?

gunter

Feb-23

You can choose to show your friends in you Profile. Look for the Personalize link when you open it.

Kidmagnet

Feb-23

What Gunter said (see image below) Also you CAN hide your friends on Facebook. Please go through your setting there and make sure you have things set the the level of privacy you want.

RebeccahQP

Feb-24

I know that, actually, and I've gone through the settings several times.  Enough times to conclude that I don't spend enough time on facebook to justify keeping track of the constant changes to how that company manages its "privacy" and "security" settings.  I consider it inherently and irreparably insecure and don't post anything there that I wouldn't want everyone on the planet to know or that isn't already public knowledge.  Which means I post next to nothing there.  And I do NOT log into anything else with my facebook account or let apps scan my contacts lists.

I post considerably more, here.  It looks like the only benefit to me of using the Friends feature here is if this person is unable to PM me and I want to give him that ability.  You may already know, but several people on one of the forums I frequent have a problem that no one can PM them unless they PM the other person first.  And that's despite having member to member e-mail enabled in their preferences.  As far as I know, though, my account doesn't have that problem.

Kidmagnet

Feb-24

RebeccahQP said:

I know that, actually, and I've gone through the settings several times.

Excellent and as an aside if anyone just upgraded to the new version of Windows 10 go through your system's privacy settings - I found several of mine changed back to default.

RebeccahQP said:

You may already know, but several people on one of the forums I frequent have a problem that no one can PM them unless they PM the other person first. And that's despite having member to member e-mail enabled in their preferences. As far as I know, though, my account doesn't have that problem.

I know that is frustrating and even more so because the wording on preferences states email when it is PM. I did not realize they were still having problems. I'll start a new thread on it and we'll see if we can get them better sorted out.

RebeccahQP

Feb-24

I should say, "have had" -- the last time the issue came up was several months ago.  Once it is detected, the person with the issue PM's the person trying to reach them, and the work-around is effected, and we don't hear about it again until the next person is not able to PM them.