Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I am Getting Too Many Notification Emails   Feedback & Wishlist

Started Jun-27 by GW (gw1hicks); 336 views.
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hello All,

I am a newbie. I signed up yesterday and I am happy to have found DelphiForums.

I have one forum subscription. I have made several posts within the forum, conversing with one other member.

However, I have received OVER 30 NOTIFICATION EMAILS that have nothing to do with my posts. In fact, I have gotten two more while composing this very message.

I have had to return to the forum over and over to ignore these messages and frankly, I do not have the time to perform this kind of thing.

I shouldn't have to deal with notifications concerning conversations between two other members that I have not conversed with. Yet it appears I must.

The notifications setting for DelphiForums looks to be an all or nothing choice.

Like I said, I am a newbie and I like the forum I have subscribed to.

I plan to return to the forum from time to time to see what's up. But I feel shouldn't be nagged into visiting by these nuisance notifications.

I think DelphiForums should offer the option to limit notifications to replies associated with one's own posts and let it's members decide when they want to log-in .

gunter

Jun-27

You can subscribe to individual discussions as opposed to the whole forum, sounds like that's what you had in mind. Look for the star or subscribe link to the right of the discussion name on top of messages.

Manage Subscriptions lets you remove any you don't want. Look for the tab on MyForums https://forums.delphiforums.com/myforums

let us know how it goes ...

• Edited June 27, 2020 2:13 pm  by  gunter
Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-27

You can - just delete the Forum Subscription

If it's a forum layout like this one you can do that by click on the Follow button.

If you do wish to received notifications of posts made to you, you can do that from your Preferences page

Link to your Preference page found here

and here

In reply toRe: msg 2
Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-27

Oh you beat me too it lol

In reply toRe: msg 2
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hi Gunter,

THANKS for your reply.

I only want to receive notifications concerning my posts and/or conversations.

The forum to which I am subscribed is the DeWALT Radial Arm Saw forum.

I joined the forum in the hopes of finding an attachment I need for my own saw.

I connected with someone who might have what I need. Hopefully I will have the attachment soon.

However, most of the notifications I have received (over 90% of them) were not related to my discussion.

For example, one discussion, for which I got MANY notifications, was about someone griping about a saw used by Home Depot employees somewhere in the Midwest. Not at all what I am interested in hearing about.

I have clicked the star on my discussion. I am hopeful that it will mute the noise I have been seeing. Thanks.

Is there any documentation about this stuff?

As a newbie, I realize that I need to learn how to best use DelphiForums. I did perform a search for information on notifications and didn't see anything about subscribing to individual discussions.

The Help icon is "hidden" on my profile page and when I clicked it, there wasn't any real help or information presented.

On the subject of PM's, which I have been doing in my attachment search, I cannot see my part in the conversation. Is there some other setting I need to adjust so I can see the full context of my conversations?

Thanks for your help and for any further information you can provide to me.

GW

gunter

Jun-27

Re PMs, look at the Inbox on MyForum, then Show All below the PMs, does that give you the rest of the conversation ?

On the left here on the message board below the discussions listing is Helpful Resources which may help in finding your way around.

In reply toRe: msg 6
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hello again Gunter,

I went through all of the Helpful Resources pages before I sent my original "I am getting too many notification emails" message because I didn't want to waste anyone's time, me being a DelphiForums newbie and all.

I have found no information concerning the "Follow this discussion" star and how it is supposed to work. Unfortunately, I don't think it is doing me any good because I have gotten NINETEEN emails today, on other discussions, since I set my discussion's follow star:

Furthermore, the "Ignore this discussion" control isn't working either:

I have gotten a DOZEN email notifications for this discussion in addition to SEVEN others just today.

So, given what I am seeing, I don't think either of these controls are working.

Very disappointing.

Since I signed up for DelphiForums (just days ago) I have spent more time on emails that I don't want to see than I have actually using the forum. I think the count is over SIXTY by now.

I do appreciate you trying to help. Problem is, I don't think you can because the code behind DelphiForums does not provide the message filtering functionality I want.

The time I spend on these emails is time I cannot spend working wood.

I am a retired Software Evaluation Engineer with over 30 years of experience. I know a fair amount about web sites and their associated coding.

So, if DelphiForums would like me to take a look at the code they use to produce email notifications, I'd be happy to help - in between my woodworking projects that is.

gunter

Jun-27

Did you look at the Subscription  tab on MyForums I  mentioned before, cancel the forum subscription there?

In reply toRe: msg 8
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hi Gunter,

I don't want to cancel my subscription as I am waiting to hear back from another subscriber about an attachment to my saw I am trying to find.

I have set the notifications frequency to once per day for now and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

gunter

Jun-27

GW (gw1hicks) said:

I don't want to cancel my subscription as I am waiting to hear back from another subscriber

You have two subscriptions now, one to the whole forum, which you can cancel. Keep the subscription to the one discussion you want.