Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Unable to use Java Applet   Chat

Started Nov-2 by Risa (Risa25); 628 views.
Risa (Risa25)

Nov-2

Hi, I just got a new hard drive installed, but although I've downloaded Java, I am unable to chat using the Java Applet. I've tried it in Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and IE. It won't do the prompt asking me to run the application for Java. What am I doing wrong, or not doing? Thanks for help!!
gunter

Nov-3

If you're checking the Java applet box before entering a room, that most likely will no longer work with newer browsers. The browsers no longer support java.  Regular Zeta chatlinked to chat pges works best.

The only other viable option is irc which has clients available on the web, then setup instructions are here:

http://www.delphiforums.com/support/irc.htm

In reply toRe: msg 2
Risa (Risa25)

Nov-3

Thanks, Gunter, that must be what the problem is! I had Internet Explorer on my old hard drive but apparently it no longer exists in that form as I was not able to down load it, and Java won't work with Chrome or Firefox which are my other options. I might try irc (internet relay chat) if I get around to it but I may have to use Zeta for the time being, much as I dislike it.
I do appreciate your taking the time to answer my query.
JayJ (XJayJX)

Nov-4

I'm not sure why, but I use either firefox or Microsoft edge and I can view and use both classic and Zeta ( If I have to) - so I don't honestly think you need java anymore. I no longer even try Internet explorer and havent for a couple of years.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents worth out there.

Risa (Risa25)

Nov-4

Tried firefox and it's a no go, i seem to have lost Edge when I got the new hard drive but will give it a try. Thanks for the input! Is there a way to view in classic without using Java??
In reply toRe: msg 5
Risa (Risa25)

Nov-4

Installed Edge, tried using Java applet, nothing happened and I don't know how else to view in classic format but really hate zeta any ideas thanks. My preference is set to view zeta chats in classic mode but if i enter a chat room it shows up as zeta. Java wont work on any of the browsers I've tried
JayJ (XJayJX)

Nov-4

I'm sure no expert, but My forum is set to classic and I use only firefox or edge. I don't believe it involves java at all any more so I'm just not sure why you are not able. I don't care for zeta either. Hopefully one of the experts here can come up with a solution. Perhaps just some setting or something. Wish I could be more help.
JayJ (XJayJX)

Nov-4

I wonder if you just ignore using the java applet - would that help?
I do not use it at all.
JayJ (XJayJX)

Nov-4

I just thought of something.
Go to my preferences at the top of the screen and make sure you have checked the box "to view all Zeta forums in classic mode. And then if you enter a chat, don't click that java applet.
Els (misselsa)

Nov-5

I think you and Risa are talking about 2 different things. We used java to chat in the past but java is not secure and browsers don't support java anymore. Zeta chat works fine, for Classic and Zeta forums.