Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Making a black background transparent   Editor Help

Started Dec-3 by Bette O (boblak); 1689 views.
Here's the way I understand it. Certain image formats are layered, others aren't. You take a picture with your camera or phone...it's a jpeg, single layered. The .gif format can be layered. In other words when you create the image you can designate a transparent background. Maybe there's some type of Photoshop method to recognize the background from the foreground in a jpeg and convert it to layers, I don't know...someone with Photoshop knowledge will have to answer that.
Kidmagnet

Dec-4

Ding ding ding - can you help with an answer? I’m wondering if they are gif files - mine look black in storage but work fine when posted. 

Kidmagnet

Dec-4

Can you attach one here?

Bette O (boblak)

Dec-4

I know what you mean but  these babies are not gifs.

Bette O (boblak)

Dec-4

If it's understanding Photoshop it's ain't  gonna be me.......

gunter

Dec-4

You do need a graphics program to convert the images to gif or png  and  make the backgrounds transparent.

Els (misselsa)

Dec-4

Best way to save images with a transparent background is save them as .png, but that has to be done when created.

EmmaGx (EMMAGX1)

Dec-4

There are two possibilities ... firstly it's possible whomever created them created them with a black background.

... or secondly it's possible they saved them with a transparent background, but when you received them, instead of saving them to your computer, and then opening them in a graphics programme, instead you copied the transparent image from your browser, using "copy image" and then pasted them into your graphics programme, and they suddenly had a black background.

If it's the first option, then ask if they can re-save them as .png files with a transparent background.

If it's the second option, then you need to use "Save Image As" to save the original file to your computer, then open them in your graphics programme.

Either way the image you attached is a .jpg, so there's no way it would have a transparent background. It's possible as it's a "doll" that it has pixellated edges, so would be simple enough to remove the background in PSP/Photoshop ... but it'd be easier if the original images were transparent and were saved/downloaded correctly!

Bette O (boblak)

Dec-4

Can you suggest a graphics program i  could download that is not too complicated????