Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I am Getting Too Many Notification Emails   Feedback & Wishlist

Started Jun-27 by GW (gw1hicks); 349 views.
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-29

Hi Gunter,

Yea, I see I have two subscriptions.

THANKS for pointing out that I could cancel the forum subscription while keeping the discussion subscription.

Problem is, if I cancel the forum subscription I'd miss notification emails like one I got today, from the member I was waiting to hear back from. The notification email was about a post on a different discussion (within the forum) that shows a picture of a sanding disk I am looking for.

So at this point, I feel like I am stuck with getting email after email about this that and other things that i am not really interested in.

I have myself up to get daily digest emails, but even with that setup I am getting email after email. I think I got over 20 for far today. Very frustrating.

Also, I am still having problems with PM discussions. I'm not sure if they're supposed to work this way, but I have one discussion going on (with aforementioned member) but all I ca see are his messages to me. I cannot see my response, so the discussion's context is greatly diminished. Any pointers about this?

THANKS AGAIN for your help and for putting up with my whining.

GW

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-29

You can can emails of posts made TO  you by choosing that option on your Preferences page. This will send you an email when posts have been addressed(or CC'ed) to you pretty much right away.

Subscriptions are similar to those but with a difference.  
When you subscribe it gives you the option of notifying you immediately, once a day or once per week.  

Subscribing to a forum means you recieve notifications of every post made in the public folders.  

You can cancel that and still receive emails when someone post to you (once you enable that feature)

Ignoring a thread/ discussion works at the forum it does not cancel the subscription. 
Let me know if you need help finding My Prefernces (its linked under you avatar in the sites header and on your My Forums page. 

Oh yes I posted images here

https://forums.delphiforums.com/service/messages?msg=54477.3

GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-29

Hey Kid,

THANKS for your reply.

Speaking of the Preferences tab, here is one of the controls that I think is involved here:

I have tried setting this to it's "no" state, but I still got email notifications about discussions I have ignored and such. There doesn't seem to be any documentation on how this control is supposed to work.

Clicking on this:

Brings up a page offering membership upgrades and little else.

Personally, I think there should be a "Learn More" link for most of the fields on the Preferences page just so newbies like me can figure out how to use the forums efficiently. 

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-30

Lets pretend I have your saw thingy held hostage and it is IMPERATIVE that you follow my directions or the saw GETS IT!

Wait... rock, paper, scissors saw...? DAMN nothing beats saw.

1. Find your subscriptions and REMOVE THEM. (glares threateningly at the saw)

2. Go back to yuor Preferences and check YES for email notifications... trust me also (waves bucket of rust over saw AHA RUST beats saw!)

3. Whilst you are on the Preferences page make sure you have Member to Member Email enabled. It has NOTHING to do with Email - it allows others to send you /reply to your Private Messages. (holds up a picture of your saw, in tears holding a copy of today's paper)

NOW - if you go back to the saw forum and find your thread you can subscribe to it least you do miss a message in it BUT you will then run the risk of obtaining duplicates of messages to you.... I think. I can't remember it's a bit muddy.

I will release your saw once you have accomplished the 3 demands unharmed!

whoops (holds up bloodied hand minus a few digits) WELL TYPING Is goinG tO BE A bit DIFFIcult noW!

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-30

GW (gw1hicks) said:

Clicking on this: Brings up a page offering membership upgrades and little else. Personally, I think there should be a "Learn More" link for most of the fields on the Preferences page just so newbies like me can figure out how to use the forums efficiently

I know - you are completely correct except for this...

Which brought you here where you got to meet two wonderful people and we're two of many that help new members and isn't that what community is all about?

Delphi is one of the oldest websites around, and one of the top communities in terms of communication, fashion and creativity.

relaxed

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-1

Did you get it worked out? 

GW (gw1hicks)

Jul-1

Hey Kid,

I am still trying to figure out exactly what I need to do.

I am still getting emails about discussions I have ignored, but I am not sure if it is because of my setup or what.

THANKS for checking back with me on this.

Hopefully, I can figure out what to do. Getting tens of emails each day seems like a lot to me.

I have set myself up with digests which look to be great, but they come in along with the emails about ignored stuff...

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-1

Those are two different processes: subscriptions and ignored threads. The first has been around for ages and the second only recently implemented, applies only to viewing the forum.

You can't really fix things without removing the forum subscription.

Click on your profile and then the My Forums tab. On the right hand side you will see My Subscriptions and under that Manage Subscriptions. (note - screenshots are with my test account)

That link leads you to a new page and your subscriptions will be divided into Discussions and Forums. Click the red X beside the DeWALT Radial Arm Saw forum. A pop up will ask you to confirm unsubscribing.

You will still receive the notifications from the discussion subscription (if you have any) and the messages made to you.  Once you cancel it may take a few hours to update. Meaning you could received a digest regarding some of the forums discussions.

Messages on the forums do not go away unless someone physically deletes them. You can use the drop down filter over the list of discussions to find ones you have already read. You can also use advanced search to look for them using various filters there.

List of discussions - High Interest gives you discussions you have participated in.

To preform a quick search put a keyword into the search field and click the Q to the right. For advanced search leave the field blank and click the Q with a plus sign bringing up this search field.

JodyDillon

Jul-1

awww  yes thanks so much found it      thanks jody