Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I am Getting Too Many Notification Emails   Feedback & Wishlist

Started Jun-27 by GW (gw1hicks); 355 views.
In reply toRe: msg 2
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hi Gunter,

THANKS for your reply.

I only want to receive notifications concerning my posts and/or conversations.

The forum to which I am subscribed is the DeWALT Radial Arm Saw forum.

I joined the forum in the hopes of finding an attachment I need for my own saw.

I connected with someone who might have what I need. Hopefully I will have the attachment soon.

However, most of the notifications I have received (over 90% of them) were not related to my discussion.

For example, one discussion, for which I got MANY notifications, was about someone griping about a saw used by Home Depot employees somewhere in the Midwest. Not at all what I am interested in hearing about.

I have clicked the star on my discussion. I am hopeful that it will mute the noise I have been seeing. Thanks.

Is there any documentation about this stuff?

As a newbie, I realize that I need to learn how to best use DelphiForums. I did perform a search for information on notifications and didn't see anything about subscribing to individual discussions.

The Help icon is "hidden" on my profile page and when I clicked it, there wasn't any real help or information presented.

On the subject of PM's, which I have been doing in my attachment search, I cannot see my part in the conversation. Is there some other setting I need to adjust so I can see the full context of my conversations?

Thanks for your help and for any further information you can provide to me.

GW

gunter

Jun-27

Re PMs, look at the Inbox on MyForum, then Show All below the PMs, does that give you the rest of the conversation ?

On the left here on the message board below the discussions listing is Helpful Resources which may help in finding your way around.

In reply toRe: msg 6
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hello again Gunter,

I went through all of the Helpful Resources pages before I sent my original "I am getting too many notification emails" message because I didn't want to waste anyone's time, me being a DelphiForums newbie and all.

I have found no information concerning the "Follow this discussion" star and how it is supposed to work. Unfortunately, I don't think it is doing me any good because I have gotten NINETEEN emails today, on other discussions, since I set my discussion's follow star:

Furthermore, the "Ignore this discussion" control isn't working either:

I have gotten a DOZEN email notifications for this discussion in addition to SEVEN others just today.

So, given what I am seeing, I don't think either of these controls are working.

Very disappointing.

Since I signed up for DelphiForums (just days ago) I have spent more time on emails that I don't want to see than I have actually using the forum. I think the count is over SIXTY by now.

I do appreciate you trying to help. Problem is, I don't think you can because the code behind DelphiForums does not provide the message filtering functionality I want.

The time I spend on these emails is time I cannot spend working wood.

I am a retired Software Evaluation Engineer with over 30 years of experience. I know a fair amount about web sites and their associated coding.

So, if DelphiForums would like me to take a look at the code they use to produce email notifications, I'd be happy to help - in between my woodworking projects that is.

gunter

Jun-27

Did you look at the Subscription  tab on MyForums I  mentioned before, cancel the forum subscription there?

In reply toRe: msg 8
GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-27

Hi Gunter,

I don't want to cancel my subscription as I am waiting to hear back from another subscriber about an attachment to my saw I am trying to find.

I have set the notifications frequency to once per day for now and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

gunter

Jun-27

GW (gw1hicks) said:

I don't want to cancel my subscription as I am waiting to hear back from another subscriber

You have two subscriptions now, one to the whole forum, which you can cancel. Keep the subscription to the one discussion you want.

GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-29

Hi Gunter,

Yea, I see I have two subscriptions.

THANKS for pointing out that I could cancel the forum subscription while keeping the discussion subscription.

Problem is, if I cancel the forum subscription I'd miss notification emails like one I got today, from the member I was waiting to hear back from. The notification email was about a post on a different discussion (within the forum) that shows a picture of a sanding disk I am looking for.

So at this point, I feel like I am stuck with getting email after email about this that and other things that i am not really interested in.

I have myself up to get daily digest emails, but even with that setup I am getting email after email. I think I got over 20 for far today. Very frustrating.

Also, I am still having problems with PM discussions. I'm not sure if they're supposed to work this way, but I have one discussion going on (with aforementioned member) but all I ca see are his messages to me. I cannot see my response, so the discussion's context is greatly diminished. Any pointers about this?

THANKS AGAIN for your help and for putting up with my whining.

GW

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-29

You can can emails of posts made TO  you by choosing that option on your Preferences page. This will send you an email when posts have been addressed(or CC'ed) to you pretty much right away.

Subscriptions are similar to those but with a difference.  
When you subscribe it gives you the option of notifying you immediately, once a day or once per week.  

Subscribing to a forum means you recieve notifications of every post made in the public folders.  

You can cancel that and still receive emails when someone post to you (once you enable that feature)

Ignoring a thread/ discussion works at the forum it does not cancel the subscription. 
Let me know if you need help finding My Prefernces (its linked under you avatar in the sites header and on your My Forums page. 

Oh yes I posted images here

https://forums.delphiforums.com/service/messages?msg=54477.3

GW (gw1hicks)

Jun-29

Hey Kid,

THANKS for your reply.

Speaking of the Preferences tab, here is one of the controls that I think is involved here:

I have tried setting this to it's "no" state, but I still got email notifications about discussions I have ignored and such. There doesn't seem to be any documentation on how this control is supposed to work.

Clicking on this:

Brings up a page offering membership upgrades and little else.

Personally, I think there should be a "Learn More" link for most of the fields on the Preferences page just so newbies like me can figure out how to use the forums efficiently. 

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jun-30

Lets pretend I have your saw thingy held hostage and it is IMPERATIVE that you follow my directions or the saw GETS IT!

Wait... rock, paper, scissors saw...? DAMN nothing beats saw.

1. Find your subscriptions and REMOVE THEM. (glares threateningly at the saw)

2. Go back to yuor Preferences and check YES for email notifications... trust me also (waves bucket of rust over saw AHA RUST beats saw!)

3. Whilst you are on the Preferences page make sure you have Member to Member Email enabled. It has NOTHING to do with Email - it allows others to send you /reply to your Private Messages. (holds up a picture of your saw, in tears holding a copy of today's paper)

NOW - if you go back to the saw forum and find your thread you can subscribe to it least you do miss a message in it BUT you will then run the risk of obtaining duplicates of messages to you.... I think. I can't remember it's a bit muddy.

I will release your saw once you have accomplished the 3 demands unharmed!

whoops (holds up bloodied hand minus a few digits) WELL TYPING Is goinG tO BE A bit DIFFIcult noW!