ShowBiz

Hosted by Showtalk

Everything ShowBiz: TV, Film, People, Books and News for over 25 years!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The CW 2017 Fall Schedule   TV/Radio Salad

Started 5/18/17 by Tony W. (TONYW1); 1733 views.
In reply toRe: msg 21
Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-11

The CW has picked up iZombie and The 100. That means the only shows not coming back are The Originals, Life Sentence and Valor.

The network has also ordered a reboot of Charmed (with an all-new cast), which ran for 8 seasons on The WB (1998-2006).

Also, the Supernatural spinoff Wayward Sisters did not get picked up.

In reply toRe: msg 25
Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-11

More news from The CW...

The Originals may not be coming back, but the network has picked up a spinoff called Legacies.

Also, there will be a reboot of Roswell (with an all-new cast), which originally aired 1999-2002 on The WB and UPN.

Do you know what Legacies is about? I
have never heard of a Spinoff, producing
its own Spinoff.
Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-11

Here's what ew.com said about Legacies...

"The new show will tell the story of the next generation of supernatural beings at the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted. It will feature a 17-year-old Hope, along with Alaric’s twin daughters, and other young adults as they come of age in the most unconventional way possible, nurtured to be their best selves in spite of their worst impulses. Will these young witches, vampires, and werewolves become the heroes they want to be — or the villains they were born to be?"

Spin-offs of spin-offs have happened before. Here are some successful ones:

All in the Family --> Maude --> Good Times

Love American Style --> Happy Days --> Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi

The Danny Thomas Show --> The Andy Griffith Show --> Gomer Pyle USMC

Matlock --> Jake and the Fatman --> Diagnosis Murder

Andy Griffith came from the
Danny Thomas Show?

I thought that The Jeffersons, were a
Spinoff of All in the Family. I didn't
know that Good Times was.

Joanie and Chachi ended up back on
Happy Days.

I am going to assume, that since Hope is
in Legacies, that the evil that they are
trying to keep away from her, doesn't
surface.

Showtalk
Host

May-12

Those spinoffs could be good,

Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-12

In 1960 Andy Griffith was interested in doing a TV show, so producers of The Danny Thomas Show (Sheldon Leonard, Danny Thomas) created an episode around him. It featured Danny getting arrested in Mayberry for running a stop sign (Ron Howard also appeared as Opie). The episode apparently worked, because The Andy Griffith Show premiered later that fall.

The Jeffersons was indeed a spin-off of All in the Family. It's one of the rare instances where the spin-off actually ran longer than the original show! A more recent example is NCIS (15 seasons so far), which is a spin-off of JAG (10 seasons).

Good Times was a spin-off of Maude, which was a spin-off of All in the Family.

I didn't know that NCIS was a Spinoff.

Are the Simpsons a Spinoff of the
Tracey Ullman Show?

Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-12

Yep, The Simpsons began on The Tracey Ullman Show. There were 48 one-minute shorts that aired over 3 seasons (1987-1989) before being spun off into its own show.

Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-12

Interesting side note about JAG: NBC canceled it after the first season, but CBS decided to pick it up (and it ran for 9 more seasons). If that didn't happen, there would have been no NCIS.