CreeKree

Sorting out the Press

Hosted by CreeKree

Whatever the Press and the mainstream Media does not bring out!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Virus Makes Lobsters So Cheap   Polically UnPressed

Started Mar-6 by Ella (Steellar); 70 views.
Ella (Steellar)

Mar-6

Virus Makes Lobsters So Cheap That Sellers Face a Fatal Blow

The coronavirus outbreak is turning one luxury treat reserved for special occasions into a meal bargain hunters can afford. U.S. lobster prices have plummeted to the lowest in at least four years after the spread of the virus halted charter flights to Asia at a time when sales usually boom for Chinese New Year celebrations.

The fallout has left thousands of pounds of unsold lobster flooding North American markets and squeezing U.S. businesses that were already hurting from lost sales due to China’s tariffs from its trade war with Washington.

“This is like a fatal blow,” said Stephanie Nadeau, owner of Arundel, Maine-based The Lobster Co., which saw orders to Hong Kong shrivel from about 1,000 boxes a week to a total of 120 boxes -- each carrying 33 pounds -- since late January. “I’m about to lay off most of my employees.”

The U.S. used to be the main supplier of live lobster to China as exporters tapped into surging demand from the Asian nation’s growing middle class. Buyers turned to relatively cheaper supply from Canada after Beijing placed retaliatory tariffs on American crustaceans in 2018.

--With assistance from Anna Kitanaka.

Bloomberg Jen Skerritt,

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/virus-makes-lobsters-cheap-sellers-120000170.html

funiki

Mar-8

Too bad for the Lobsters... astonished

the whales would have enjoyed them!

Tittah

Mar-16

The order will go into effect on Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time.

New York City will ban dining out, limiting restaurants, bars, and cafes to takeout and delivery.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ranaki_yacking/messages/?msg=8074.1

C J (CardJoker)

Mar-16

Thanks, but not something I'd eat!