Dreams ~ Self ~ Psy -  Fun video on animal totems (3158 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 56) 
edit by SiFan, 2015

Totem Sig: Lielqa says she will do a totem sig for anyone who requests one!

To get yours, post a reply to this message (to Lielqa) including Animal, your
Name, and your choice of Color for the banner. Maybe size preference, too.

This video covers a lot of the material in her DIY Totemism book that I like. No fuss approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2z2XHKJPIU

• Edited October 21, 2015 1:04 am  by  SiFan

Reply   Options 

To: Lielqa  (2 of 56) 
 2595.2 in reply to 2595.1 

This video covers a lot of the material in her DIY Totemism book that I like. No fuss approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2z2XHKJPIU

Thanks for the link, Lielqa!

Good time to show off the hawk totem sig you made for me ...

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 56) 
 2595.3 in reply to 2595.2 

yw Si! Hope you enjoy it, it's a little long! Glad you like your sig too!

The animal-shield/flag motif is a reminder that complexity doesn't end with the individual (shields and flags represent kingdoms). There is somewhat of a gameplay vibe (think about wearing that on your shirt during a risk game for example). This vibe is a reminder not to be so 'heavy' with yourself. And, since life is filled with games, you can happily take the image into your real day to day life. It can certainly be refined into 'real art' one day.

To: Lielqa  (4 of 56) 
 2595.4 in reply to 2595.3 

The animal-shield/flag motif is a reminder that complexity doesn't end with the individual (shields and flags represent kingdoms). There is somewhat of a gameplay vibe (think about wearing that on your shirt during a risk game for example). This vibe is a reminder not to be so 'heavy' with yourself. And, since life is filled with games, you can happily take the image into your real day to day life. It can certainly be refined into 'real art' one day.

Sure looks like real art to me.

Agree about the game play vibe. There is a bit of that feeling. Like 'wearing the garb' of your totem and taking on that identity.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 56) 
 2595.5 in reply to 2595.4 

'Sure looks like real art to me.'

Thanks Si, these images kind of like 'arrangements'. Trying to get better at using GIMP (freely available art program) and think I'm getting a slightly improved handle on my motif. Here is a shield or flag ready falcon I did for someone recently:

'Agree about the game play vibe. There is a bit of that feeling. Like 'wearing the garb' of your totem and taking on that identity.'

Yeah, like 'Uh-oh, here comes the Hawks!' Also can be an expression of what's already there, you "mesh" with it for some reason.

To: Lielqa  (6 of 56) 
 2595.6 in reply to 2595.5 
Have added your totem sig offer to msg 1 of this thread.
Add or change anything you like.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 56) 
 2595.7 in reply to 2595.6 

'Have added your totem sig offer to msg 1 of this thread.
Add or change anything you like.'

OK Si! Not the least bit concerned about being overwhelmed with requests :  ) Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of neat to be on this lost realm of the internet?

To: Lielqa  (8 of 56) 
 2595.8 in reply to 2595.7 

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of neat to be on this lost realm of the internet?

LQ! This place does have a sort of 'lost realm' feel. There are a few others.

To: Lielqa  (9 of 56) 
 2595.9 in reply to 2595.1 

A little bit of history regarding totems. Yes, many were animals, but many were Gods and heros.

In England they became the supporters for coats of arms, and are also included as "Queen´s Beasts", good examples

are seen on the bridge leading to Hampton Court Palace.

Here in Mallorca, and throughout "Gran" Catalunya, they are represented as "gegants" usually a pair, representing villages, town, and higher political entites.

These pagan reliques used to be throughout Catholic Europe until those spoil sport Protestants took away all the fun.

In Germany they have been down graded to those Disney like big heads during Carnival.

In Holland, Mastrict their gegant, has two sacks hanging from his belt, one has a Catholic Bishop, the other the Duke of Alba, last Spanish governor of

the Netherlands - this totem gegant is the defender of Dutch liberty.

Here on Mallorca, Palma, our capital has 10 active* gegants  - two for the Baleares (slinger and Phoenician goddess)

4 for the Island (3 kings and a queen) and 4 for the city (lord, lady, piper, fife and drummer).

Most of the village pairs have a religious, occupational, or historic connection. Inca, famous for shoes, has a shoemaker and an embroiderer, etc.

We have three other classes of totems: While the gegants are usually full figures 4m tall, gegantons are shorter, caparots (capgrossos) are just heads with the carrier wearing a costume

(this is the original form of the UK lion and uniform). In addition are beasts, often fire breathing.

These totems appear at regular festivals, take the mayor to church, dance, go on pilgrimages, and visit other gegants.

For example my village, Porreres, is the "child" of Porrera in Terragona, so for each other´s festivals the gegants visit.

There are also "trobadas" (gatherings) of gegants. Each pair has a team of "portadors" (carriers), vigilants (watch out for horse manure and other road hazzards), músics. Early in this clip you

will see a woman carrying pigeons, and a man with a drum, these are from my village, I am portador-1 for the woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Kl-gqI3eU

caparots (capgrossos - big heads), drac, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjKphyOCyPA

Note that all these are preChristian, e.g. pagan in origin, and tolerated by the Catholic Church (Spain never experienced the Reformation).

If you speak some Spanish don´t feel bad, we don´t speak it here, we speak Catalá (kids have to take Spanish as a second language in school)

As for music, besides drums the traditional instruments are xeremies (bag pipes), or grallas (barroque oboes, e.g. bag pipes without the bag) these accompany

most of our pagan rituals, including "castells". In this case they are also practical because the castellera teams can´t see or hear commands from the captains,

so the climb is choreographed. [clip is my team in a failed castell]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFF7qbQO06w

While competitions are team sports, we also perform in church for weddings, funerals, and special feast days - the current style is a 19c revival, taken from the end of

a ritual dance.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 56) 
 2595.10 in reply to 2595.8 

'LQ! This place does have a sort of 'lost realm' feel. There are a few others.'

Yeah, just like the Catacombs.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-56
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.