Questions and Answers -  Would you use a flying taxi? (111 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: The Wacky One (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 7:33 AM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

See this story,  I'm old fashioned, I want my taxis on the ground!

Uber and Hyundai team up to put flying taxis in the sky

- Uber and Hyundai unveiled a flying taxi that may eventually transform your ride-sharing trips.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas Monday, the two companies revealed a model of a four-seat, electric flying vehicle that they said you'll be able to summon for a ride through Uber's app someday. The first actual prototype will be ready in 2023, according to a Hyundai spokesperson. A human pilot will fly the air taxi until the companies finalize software to autonomously control it, the company said.

Hyundai is the latest big company to announce that it's developing a flying taxi for trips around cities and suburbs. Boeing's flying car prototype made its first autonomous flight in 2019 at a small airport outside Washington D.C. Google co-founder Larry Page has invested in several smaller startups, including Kitty Hawk and Opener, which are developing flying car technologies.

In October, Hyundai appointed Jaiwon Shin, a longtime NASA administrator, to lead its newly created air taxi division. Hyundai's partner in the venture, Uber, has said it expects to have an air taxi network in 2023. Uber already has partnerships with the helicopter manufacturer Bell and the Brazilian aerospace manufacturer Embraer. But experts say the estimate is aggressive.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/uber-and-hyundai-team-up-to-put-flying-taxis-in-the-sky

To: The Wacky One (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 41591.2 in reply to 41591.1 

So we can expect to see taxis parts, and perhaps even human parts falling from the sky?  Seriously cars on the ground run into each other all the time, even though there are designated lanes, traffic signs, and traffic lights telling us when we can turn, go, and stop, etc..  Don't see how they'd have them for flying vehicles (maybe really, really tall signposts?), so flying vehicles just could be chaos in the skies. 

Reply   Options 

From: The Wacky One (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 6:01 PM 
To: Meriana  (3 of 4) 
 41591.3 in reply to 41591.2 

I agree, it sounds foolish and very unsafe.  

To: Meriana  (4 of 4) 
 41591.4 in reply to 41591.2 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.