Cab News -  Taxi Driver Kills Himself at City Hall (220 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/7/18 4:02 PM 
To: All  (1 of 36) 

NYC Taxi Driver Kills Himself at City Hall After Condemning Uber & Politicians for Financial Ruin

New York City taxi drivers held a vigil on Tuesday to honor livery car driver Douglas Schifter, who killed himself in front of City Hall Monday morning after writing a long Facebook post condemning local politicians and Wall Street-backed apps like Uber for pushing him into financial ruin. He wrote, “I worked 100-120 consecutive hours almost every week for the past fourteen plus years. When the industry started in 1981, I averaged 40-50 hours. I cannot survive any longer with working 120 hours! I am not a Slave and I refuse to be one. … There seems to be a strong bias by the Mayor and Governor in favor of Uber. A Company that is a known liar, cheat and thief.” 

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/2/7/nyc_taxi_driver_kills_himself_at

photo Shorty_Val_zpsblmhr9e4.png

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/8/18 5:28 AM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 36) 
 729.2 in reply to 729.1 

Okay, so taxi drivers may not be the most stable people? Is that a surprise to anyone? Why was he driving a taxi? I think his complaints were valid. If Uber and Lift were eating his business why not drive for Uber or Lift? Or maybe he could just change fields to nuclear physics or something.

Reply   Options 

To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 36) 
 729.3 in reply to 729.1 

I saw your promo. I don’t know what to think. I know Uber and the others have cut into taxi business, but his actions were awfully extreme.  Being severely sleep deprived can affect mental health.  It’s sad.

To: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 36) 
 729.4 in reply to 729.2 

He needed a little more training for a career change.  Maybe Uber and Lyft turned him down.

To: All  (5 of 36) 
 729.5 in reply to 729.1 

After reading the whole article, I have a different opinion. It seems like the taxi industry is dying due to political decisions but also due to the marketplace.  People living in cities who can’t drive due to crowds and cost, rely on public transportation.   But they can’t carry everything on the subway or don’t always want to take it, so they need inexpensive options. Uber and Lyft don’t have the same regulations or costs, so the are flourishing.

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/8/18 1:31 PM 
To: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 36) 
 729.6 in reply to 729.2 

It's sad that he felt he had to do this.  I too wondered, why? What pushed him over, is there more we don't know?  Why couldn't he change jobs?

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/8/18 1:33 PM 
To: Showtalk DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 36) 
 729.7 in reply to 729.3 

I don't know either;  both LYFT nad UBER have hurt the business here as well, nothing like that has happened here; people grumble and move on to other things.  

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/8/18 1:35 PM 
To: Showtalk DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 36) 
 729.8 in reply to 729.5 

That's the key, Uber and Lyft are not regulated like cabs are. The company I work for is all but dead; I am lucky in that when we merged with Veyo, I got transferred to Veyo without my being asked; now the two companies are split again, I'm darned lucky to still be working.  A lot of others aren't.  

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/8/18 2:07 PM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 36) 
 729.9 in reply to 729.6 

Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) said...

Why couldn't he change jobs?

Some people do not drive a taxi as their first choice. Often it is their last resort. Perhaps it was his.

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/8/18 2:15 PM 
To: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 36) 
 729.10 in reply to 729.9 

That is a quite a possibility....

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-36
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.