Cab News -   NYC cabbies face uncertain futures (57 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-18 8:08 AM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

New York City's Taxi Drivers Are in Peril as They Brave the Coronavirus and Uncertain Futures

Every cent matters to Kim Jaemin, a cab driver in virus-ravaged New York City, whose diet has been reduced to instant noodles despite working 14-hour shifts, seven days a week.

Since the coronavirus pandemic emptied the streets of passengers, the 58-year-old from South Korea has been living on about $65 a day. He buys near-expired, discounted food that he rations to last the week. Two meals of the day consist of the cheapest brand of ramen noodles he can find. “Forget about nutrition,” he says.

On May 2, of the seven total passengers he picked up, five did not tip. The other two tipped him less than $3 each. While most of his fellow cab drivers have quit—either because they fear getting sick with COVID-19, which has killed dozens of their colleagues, or because they feel it’s useless to scour a deserted city for riders—Kim says he has no choice but to work more. “I have to make every possible penny, nickel and dime,” says Kim, who lives alone in Queens and scribbles every fare and tip he gets into a notepad.

“The only way I could survive,” he adds, “I have to work every day.”

To: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 10) 
 782.2 in reply to 782.1 

While I appreciate the problem and am sympathetic, I am a bit confused. Normally, I seldom take a cab anywhere, in the past year can think of only one such event. However in this crisis, when I travel away from home, I would expect to use a cab more, not less. In a cab, I am isolated from the driver, and with door to door pick up and delivery, I would have less contact with other people as opposed to public transpart and all the walking in between.

As far as tipping goes people here do not tip at restaurants, but do for cabbies. I always tip something, and more if the driver is friendly and efficient. Away from home, a cabbie is a great tour guide and source of important information that make my foreign stays more pleasurable. 

As my island is a common tourist destination, though only about 10% of the land area, in high season (which is obviously not happening now) tourists double our population. Imagine a cruise ship dumping about 4000 people passangers and crew around 10:00 in the moning - lots of cabs. Here while we have enough cabs, the prolem is "pirate" cabbies, no standards, unprofessional, and very clever at psyching out and picking up fares at unmarked locations.

Reply   Options 

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 1:11 PM 
To: RGoss99  (3 of 10) 
 782.3 in reply to 782.2 

In Arizona, there are few regulations for cab drivers, while most are quite knowledgeable about the area, a lot have no idea, some have to use GPS to see  how to get somewhere.  

I cannot imagine how crowded your island gets when ships arrive, it has to be crazier then Times Square.

To: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 782.4 in reply to 782.3 

Times Square is a valid comparrison. We have some other related problems also. For example we have bike paths, so the few times I take my car, I park outside and bike towards the center.

the Problem with Brits is that while they can figure which side of the street to drive on, they don´t apply it to bikes, so I am always meeting a Brit on my side, I stop, put my feet on the ground

and wait, while they give me attitude. The old part of town is pedestrians only, so I walk my bike there. But Brits also walk on the wrong side also. One day, I am walking on the right, just in from the window shoppers, and

see a British woman heading right for me walking on the wrong side. I stop, ring my bell, but she is not only watching her cell phone, but listening to her ear buds and walks right into my front wheel.

She makes a stink and calls a cop over and reports me walking into her. Fortunately the cop saw the whole thing and chuckling informs her that I was standing still and that she walked into me, and if I had

fallen or my bike had been damaged, she would have gotten a ticket for "hazzardous walking".

As to numbers, my region is 4 islands, population 1 million, of whom 300,000 live in the capital where the cruise ships land. Added to that most tourists say near the beach and shop at the tourist rip off places, that only 

extend about 5 blocks inland, so yes, time square, ad 4000 to one side of a city of 300,000 and you have a human traffic jamb.

As to your Arizona example. We have a few solutions, cab companies apply for licenses for their drivers and this involve the company doing a ride  along test practical (standard locations) and written (main streets) before the driver´s

license is applied for. Drivers also have to have a CPR and Red Cross first aid certificate. Because I live in the countryside, when I come home late I have to take a cab home as the last bus is 20:30, which means a dead run with

an empty cab back. the charge is not double, so I compensate with a large tip. 

Airport and Harbor are not a cab problem with pirates, because only licensed cabs get anywhere near the deboarding passengers. This means the pirates have to park in a distant public parking facilitiy and drum up business,

which is fairly obvious to the real cabbies, when a strangr starts talking to tourists in the cab lines. So the only way they can make money is psyching out tourists on the streets not at cab stations. Of course one can flag down

a cab anywhere one sees them, but pirate cabbies, would get caught if they were driving an unlicensed cab.

In my village, we don´t have a cab or cab stand, so one simply calls the police station and they have some system for locating the nearest available cab. This is because the cabs have airplane type transponders, monitored by their

cab companies.

Under the shut down, any private vehicle on a road is subject to being stopped and asked to justify its being on the road in the first place.

I have some unrelated to virus healh problems, so the day before I am scheduled to visit the hospital, I get a bar coded print out, to show the cop. Comming home say from a distant pharmacy, evidence of need is the dated and timed 

receipt from the pharmacy or place visited. 

What I find sad as an American is the selfish attitudes of some Americans who feel that there right not to be inconvenienced is more important then solving the virus problem.

As of now, we have been 2 weeks in phase 1 opening (no deaths or new cases in two weeks), and as of Monday we enter phase 2 which means open theatres, restaurants, bars, sports, beaches, parks (still with masks and separation). 

the reason we are in such good shape, is no one seems to be fighting the system or pushing the politicians to not depend on the scientists. The day after the shut down started, everyone in my village ws tested and given a mask.

While some countries are there also, America is still not prepared for general testing.

Oops, forgot to add, with in the first week, all health care workers, cops, cabbies, transportation workers, and truck drivers, were tested as they are the most vulnerable, and the most valuable when things break down.

If I was a cabby, I would be nervous just letting any nice old lady into my cab.

• Edited May 22, 2020 4:08 pm  by  RGoss99

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 4:44 PM 
To: RGoss99  (5 of 10) 
 782.5 in reply to 782.4 

One of the first things I'd do if I were going out of country is look up information, rules and regulations for motor vechiles and pedestrians. Every country does things differently, but then again I guess sometimes I'm too sensible. :)

When they first degrulated the cab industry  here in Arizona,  bandit cabs were a big problem, but after a big crackdown,  you never see them anymore,  I'd think Uber/Lyft may have fished them off.

To: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 782.6 in reply to 782.5 

If you ever plan to be ouside the country, there is a British company called "Insight" that has a guide book for just about everywhere, which I always purchase and read before I go abroad (Hungary next month virus permitting - so I have to purchase a new one). While the paperback is quite handy with just about any information you might need, there are extras they supply keyed to it such as maps, public transportation, regulations, etc. One thing that I find handy is a plastetsized, fold out map opens up about the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, because it s plastic and hinged great for biking, especially in the rain. In your cab have you ever tried to read a gas station road map. I don´t know about Arizona, but in California, hank God for the Thomas Guide.

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 7:01 PM 
To: RGoss99  (7 of 10) 
 782.7 in reply to 782.6 

Even if I don't go out of the country, that does sound like an interesting book to ready.

Yes, when I drove a cab I used Thomas Guides and a local company map books, they were so muh easier to read then the folding map, and more efficient.

From: krathyn3 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-4 4:45 PM 
To: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 10) 
 782.8 in reply to 782.7 

the LIFT drivers used to be taught to read the Thomas guides. The Thomas guides were superior maps in most ways. In the past about 5 years they have had the GPS system instead and new hires are no longer routinely taught map reading at all. Some learn about it from senior drivers and some know about it from related previous experience.
It does make a difference in how good they are at finding places if they know the basics of map reading as well as the GPS

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-4 4:50 PM 
To: krathyn3 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 10) 
 782.9 in reply to 782.8 

I'm the same way, map books are a lot better IMO.

From: krathyn3 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-4 4:56 PM 
To: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 10) 
 782.10 in reply to 782.9 

I agree

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.