Streaming TV & Video -  The new Star Trek series + Picard (200 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 11) 

ST: Strange New Worlds dropped on Paramount+ yesterday, Thursday, May 5.

They've only released the pilot episode so far, but I think I'm going to like this! Christopher Pike is captain of the Enterprise in this series and James T. Kirk is only a Lieutenant. I don't know if he'll have much of a role yet, but they did introduce Kirk briefly in this first episode. Uhura is the communications officer, but just a cadet at this point. Spock is also there, of course, since that was established in the episode with Capt. Pike in the original series. We also have nurse Chapel who I surmise will play an important role in the ensemble as well. 

What's interesting is that Capt. Pike has had a premonition of what will nearly end his life and leave him an invalid (again, following the precedent set in TOS). He is frequently haunted by the vision, so much so, that you have to wonder if he can do his job effectively. However, he does manage to use logic and cunning to save the day, when the situation requires it. This is very much in line with the original Star Trek vision, in my opinion. 

FWIW, I also watched the first episode of Season 2 of Picard and already it looks as though they are going to make a lot of connections to characters from previous shows, particularly Guinan and Q (and I believe Data will return in some capacity as well). I'm not sure if this was to make some interesting story lines, or to try to reconnect with diehard Trek fans who didn't relate to a show in which Picard has no connections to anyone from the past who we viewers are familiar with. I suspect it is the latter. As a die hard Trek fan myself, I can say that is true for me. Seven of Nine is going to be a regular in the show it seems. A few of the new characters are interesting, but the others not so much. Season 1 seemed happy to explore some characters' backgrounds, but not others, so maybe that's why. At any rate, I think this season could very well be better than the first. 

To: All  (2 of 11) 
 4781.2 in reply to 4781.1 

And speaking of Star Trek: Picard...wow! Second season is so much better than the first, IMO. Q has returned and made a mess of things, but as always, Picard is determined to make things right again. Brent Spiner returns to play an ancestor of Dr. Soong (spoiler alert: the crew travels back in time!). We even encounter a 21st century Guinan (her species is very long lived, with lifespans of several centuries). We are also introduced to an advanced alien race that sends "watchers" back in time to monitor various worlds. Oh, and the Borg Queen is back! Dr. Jurati gets to have a very interesting storyline with her. 

Okay, I don't want to say much more, but if season 1 wasn't that interesting to you, this season will be! 

To: All  (3 of 11) 
 4781.3 in reply to 4781.2 

I just watched the final episode of season 2 of ST: Picard. I could not believe who they brought back! I don't think I want to give anything away, but I kind of like that they brought this character in, simply because I didn't like how this character ended up in ST:TNG. It just seemed weird then, but they made it work here, and explained this character's life in a way that completely tied in with the story arc. 

Do be warned that much of this story arc feels a bit like watching a horror movie at times, because the young Jean-Luc Picard is having trouble processing a deeply disturbing memory from his childhood. The bits and pieces of those flashback scenes are a bit scary. 

There are several deaths, and unless they time travel again, one character is not returning. Another character has "transformed" (for lack of a better word), and I suspect will not be back, but who knows? And another character is dying in this story arc, so it is assumed that when the season ended, the character was dead. 

To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 11) 
 4781.4 in reply to 4781.3 

Is it safe to talk about this yet? Or should we give more time to avoid spoiling?

Cable TV Shows  
Prime Time Cafe 

"A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing." -- Proverbs 17:22 

I'm a big believer in the power of art -- to entertain, educate, and open minds." -- Scott Maxwell

"Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up." -- Proverbs 12:25

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy. -----Norman Vincent Peale

Reply   Options 

To: LoveRiot DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 11) 
 4781.5 in reply to 4781.4 

I think we can talk about it! 

What are your thoughts? 

To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 11) 
 4781.6 in reply to 4781.5 

SPOILERS!

Were you referring to Wesley Crusher as The Traveler? That was an awesome surprise!

I'll just repost my review from my forum and you can discuss whatever points you want to discuss from there :)

Original air date: 05/05/2022

Farewell

What an interesting season finale. I didn't expect such a feel-good finale from Star Trek, especially since they had another season planned after this and the writers knew that at the onset of this season. It makes me wonder what they have in store for next year's series finale. This season of Picard dealt with deep down pain that people have to overcome - each character had it. We saw real sacrifice and growth.

Picard has long been shy about relationships and struggled to get close - we now know why this has been. Q had known it too. However what Q has done is larger than that. The Transwarp conduit would have formed regardless. Q's purpose was not merely to save Picard - it was to save all that Picard loved and fought for in the Alpha Quadrant. Q not only helped Picard discover himself - he also saved billions because what Picard would do in the past set the stage for saving the Quadrant and confronting a new threat that Q knew was coming.

While Q did say it didn't all have to be about galactic importance, that was still something. He ultimately did it BECAUSE of his affection for Picard. Ultimately Q learned something from his interactions with Picard and all of the Alpha Quadrant benefited.

As for characters, both Jurati and Rios did feel out of place in their own time so this was a nice ending for them. Jurati's loneliness is solved and Rios now has a place and we know the positives he creates.

It was mind-blowing that Jurati had triumphed over the Borg Queen and turned the Borg into a powerful force for good. Now, that was unexpected. I loved that speech Jurati gave to the Borg Queen in the previous episode. So, for me, a very satisfying final episode. And I loved the little sequence with Wesley Crusher coming back as "The Traveler." Wow, did not expect that! 

I'm okay with the Borg joining the Federation, actually, because really at this point, where else could they go with that story? Left as it is, eventually the Borg would triumph over everybody. Eventually. Unless someone actually does commit genocide on them. And that doesn't seem very Trekkish either.

Share your thoughts. 

Cable TV Shows  
Prime Time Cafe 

"A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing." -- Proverbs 17:22 

I'm a big believer in the power of art -- to entertain, educate, and open minds." -- Scott Maxwell

"Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up." -- Proverbs 12:25

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy. -----Norman Vincent Peale

• Edited May 14, 2022 5:55 am  by  LoveRiot

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-13 9:30 PM 
To: LoveRiot DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 11) 
 4781.7 in reply to 4781.4 

Just put spoiler alert at the top of your message

Click Below for my Forums:

To: LoveRiot DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 11) 
 4781.8 in reply to 4781.6 

Yes, I was referring to Wesley Crusher! 

As for Picard, what confuses me is that the season finale of ST:TNG clearly shows that Picard and Dr. Crusher were married and divorced. Do we assume then that the future timeline Picard experienced didn't happen? I had always sort of assumed it existed as is, but there was no mention of his relationship with Dr. Crusher in the current series. 

As for the new threat to the Alpha Quadrant, I had considered species 8472, as they were pretty powerful when Voyager confronted them in the Delta quadrant. Of course, there could be any number of malicious entities out there! 

I don't think I'll miss Capt. Rios, but I was fond of Jurati's character, so I will miss her. It would be nice if they could develop Elron's character. I sort of feel like his only purpose is to do the physical aspects of scenes that Patrick Stewart can no longer do. 

So, I have read that everyone from ST:TNG will be making an appearance next season! It will be fun to see how they write those characters into the storylines. 

To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 11) 
 4781.9 in reply to 4781.8 

BlueMoon67 said...

As for Picard, what confuses me is that the season finale of ST:TNG clearly shows that Picard and Dr. Crusher were married and divorced.

Wasn't that an alternate reality??? I don't know if we ever knew much, being it was the series finale. 

BlueMoon67 said...

As for the new threat to the Alpha Quadrant, I had considered species 8472, as they were pretty powerful when Voyager confronted them in the Delta quadrant. Of course, there could be any number of malicious entities out there!

I didn't stick with Voyager, so I can't speak to it. But is it canon? 

BlueMoon67 said...

I don't think I'll miss Capt. Rios, but I was fond of Jurati's character, so I will miss her. It would be nice if they could develop Elron's character. I sort of feel like his only purpose is to do the physical aspects of scenes that Patrick Stewart can no longer do. 

Oh I liked Rios. But I'm happy for him. It's ok that he's written out because it felt very organic to the character to wish to remain. 

BlueMoon67 said...

So, I have read that everyone from ST:TNG will be making an appearance next season! It will be fun to see how they write those characters into the storylines. 

We had quite a few this season. This should be fun ;)

Cable TV Shows  
Prime Time Cafe 

To: LoveRiot DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 11) 
 4781.10 in reply to 4781.9 
LoveRiot said...

BlueMoon67 said...

I didn't stick with Voyager, so I can't speak to it. But is it canon? 

I would think it has be canon if it appeared in Voyager. They were not in an alternate timeline or anything like that. They were in the normal Star Trek timeline, except that they had been thrown into the Delta quadrant by a dying alien. Had it not been for Voyager, Seven of Nine wouldn't exist in ST: Picard. 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.