Weight Loss/Obesity Discussion -  Why dieters often regain weight (4370 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/26/11 10:39 PM 
To: All  (1 of 18) 

Dieters Fail Because Of Hormones Not Lack Of Will Power

Medical News Today
New research released tomorrow in the New England Journal of Medicine, suggests that people fail to lose weight on diets, more because of hormone imbalances than lack of will power

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/26/11 10:43 PM 
To: All  (2 of 18) 
 6373.2 in reply to 6373.1 

Why dieters tend to regain weight

Los Angeles Times ý
A study shows that various hormones conspire to make us hungrier for at least another year, telling us to eat more, conserve energy and store fuel as fat

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/26/11 10:44 PM 
To: All  (3 of 18) 
 6373.3 in reply to 6373.1 

Yo-Yo Dieting Spurred by Hormone Changes That Exist for a Year

BusinessWeek ý
Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The yo-yo effect that dieters experience of shedding pounds and gaining them back may be due to the persistence of hormones that drive the urge to eat even a year after weight loss, a study suggests

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/15/12 9:59 PM 
To: FeelGR8 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 18) 
 6373.4 in reply to 6373.1 

Regaining Lost Weight? Your Hormones May Be the Culprit

U.S. News & World Report (blog) - ýAug 14, 2012ý

If you're one of the many people struggling to maintain your weight loss after dieting, emerging research may help you understand your plight. A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that dieters who regain weight are not simply backsliding into old eating habits: They're battling biology itself, which tends to fight to keep weight on. While more research is needed before we can make firm conclusions, it seems the hormones that kick in once you've lost weight both slow your metabolism—and make you feel hungrier than before. In the study, one hormone, leptin, dropped as soon as the subjects lost weight .When leptin falls, hunger swells and metabolism stalls.The combination of increasing appetite and slowing metabolism is a double whammy for people looking to keep weight off. After a year, leptin levels were still lower than they were when the study began, only increasing as subjects got heavier. Worse, a year out, other hunger-provoking hormones, such as ghrelin, were altered in ways that left participants with bigger appetites than at the study's start.

To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 18) 
 6373.5 in reply to 6373.4 
It's just not fair!!! I am back on the treadmill hoping to take off the weight I took off 2 yrs ago and have gained back. For me, the key is to exercise on the treadmill, lift weights for upper body strength to please my pulmonologist, and give up chocolate which is almost impossible. Maybe if I restart drinking tons of water it will help now. Hoping....

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/19/12 11:28 PM 
To: kstoeckel  (6 of 18) 
 6373.6 in reply to 6373.5 
It's definitely tough.  Our own bodies fight our best efforts.  The tough answer is to never give up - and realize that it may be a life-long journey, albeit one that matters.

To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 18) 
 6373.7 in reply to 6373.6 
That is just my problem.....want it solved for good but know that will not happen. I need the strength to keep at it and be the person I really want to be. I am a senior, don't feel like it, and don't want to look like it.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/20/12 11:45 PM 
To: kstoeckel  (8 of 18) 
 6373.8 in reply to 6373.7 
I've always treated goals as short term - a day/week at a time.   Focus on the possible.  For me that helps.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/28/12 12:31 AM 
To: kstoeckel  (9 of 18) 
 6373.9 in reply to 6373.4 
Weight loss plateaus can be frustrating
The Albany Herald-Aug 25, 2012
Fat loss plateaus and lack of progress can be very frustrating. What makes it the most frustrating is when you feel like you're consistently putting in effort in the gym and reducing calories, but you are not losing. The first response is often to blame the lack of fat loss on something other than not being in a caloric deficit. It is amazing how many excuses we find for not losing fat weight. Some examples are “I’m just big bone” or “I’m retaining water” or “my metabolism has slowed down as I’ve gotten older” or “it’s heredity, everyone in my family is overweight.” One of the most common I hear is, “I’m hardly eating anything and I’m not losing weight, so it can’t be calories, it must be my carbs!” I think the best one I heard was from a prospective client who said she was trying to lose her “baby fat.” When I asked how old her baby was, she sheepishly replied, “Twelve years old”! The fact is, you will always lose weight in a caloric deficit, even though genetics, hormones, and other factors contribute. The laws of thermodynamics and the calorie balance equation still apply. The question is not why does a calorie deficit not work, but instead why has it changed?

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/28/14 6:28 PM 
To: All  (10 of 18) 
 6373.10 in reply to 6373.3 

Stop the Yearly Weight Loss-Weight Gain Cycle

Huffington Post  

There is a common yearly weight-loss, weight-gain cycle: In my nearly three decades working in the weight loss industry, I've seen that August is second to December in the rate of weight-gain, with September being second to January in weight loss.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.