The Muppets -  ABC's "The Muppets" (2015-2016) (91251 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-27 7:23 PM 
To: All  (1513 of 1523) 
 16253.1513 in reply to 16253.1512 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-disney-refused-to-let-abc-cancel-agents-of-shie-1818861291

Report: Disney Refused to Let ABC Cancel Agents of SHIELD After Its Fourth Season

The most recent season of Agents of SHIELD finally held its own against Marvel’s films and other television projects that have outshined it in the past. There was magic, mystery, an explicit condemnation of the Nazi organization that is Hydra, and a very clever take on the “darkest timeline” TV trope.

However, while Agents of SHIELD seems to have finally found its footing, it’s also become increasingly cut off from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe, with no clear plans for any sort of integration in the near future. To that end, according to a new report from Variety, ABC was all but ready to cancel Agents of Shield after its fourth season, and would have done so if not for Disney pulling rank and forcing its renewal. No specific reason is mentioned for the potential cancellation, though the publication notes that the network is mired in an overall “ratings rut.”

It would stand to reason that some might see the show as extra weight that could easily be cast off in favor of a new project that might lead to a ratings boost, but for the time being, Agents of SHIELD lives on. The show’s fifth season is due to premiere later this year.

Reply   Options 

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (1514 of 1523) 
 16253.1514 in reply to 16253.1513 

Mother. Fucker.

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-28 6:34 AM 
To: Grant (GrantHarding)  (1515 of 1523) 
 16253.1515 in reply to 16253.1514 

Right? The Muppets need a Kevin Feige.

edit: I'm aware Feige isn't directly involved in Agents of Shield, but he's the driving force behind Marvel's cinematic universe which has made Disney a lot of money and earned enormous critical acclaim. I'm not saying the Muppets should or could be anywhere near that level, but it says something when you have a creator in power behind a franchise who's in it for the long haul. James Bobin, Nick Stoller, Bill Prady, Kristin Newman, etc, have overseen some of the better Muppet projects in recent years; Disney really needs someone like them at the helm who can steer the Muppets creatively and successfully for more than just the duration of a film or TV production timeline. If the Muppets were a viable franchise, Disney never would have let their TV network cancel their show. They'd have kept them around like they did with Agents of Shield, because it was good for the franchise.

• Edited September 28, 2017 6:47 am  by  Scott (scarecroe)

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (1516 of 1523) 
 16253.1516 in reply to 16253.1513 

I am 100% not surprised. And so very disappointed.

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (1517 of 1523) 
 16253.1517 in reply to 16253.1515 

Yeah, without Jim Henson around (or Brian Henson who helmed things in the 90s), the Muppets really haven't had any single/strong creative head driving the overall ship. Great people work on the franchise, but the top creative force behind the characters is like a rotating door. The Muppets Studio really needs a chief creative officer... not just a manager or a president that focuses on the business logistics of productions, appearances and merchandising. They need someone who focuses on the characters and stories of the franchise as much as profits and administration of the franchise. They need someone who is willing to lead the characters and push them to new places -- not just follow the characters and be pulled by various outside forces. 

Look at other Disney subsidiaries -- you've got Kevin Feige (Marvel Studios), Kathleen Kennedy (LucasFilm), John Lasseter (Pixar & Disney Animation), -- the Muppets Studios needs a strong, forceful and talented creative head. The Muppets need a "Jim Henson."

• Edited September 28, 2017 9:12 am  by  Matt (Mtthwas)

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-28 9:28 AM 
To: Matt (Mtthwas)  (1518 of 1523) 
 16253.1518 in reply to 16253.1517 

I volunteer as tribute!

Seriously though, you're absolutely right. I'm sure it's come up before, but this Shield news just kinda helps drive the point home even more.

To: Matt (Mtthwas)  (1519 of 1523) 
 16253.1519 in reply to 16253.1517 

I was sort of hoping for a while that James Bobin would be appointed as The Big Creative Person for the Muppets, but I guess he has his own stuff to work on.

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (1520 of 1523) 
 16253.1520 in reply to 16253.1515 

Bobin certainly would have been great, but why not Kirk or Bill, or any of the guys known to work on the behind the scenes stuff?  It seems like they are kept at arms length in favor minor projects, one-offs or freelance, rather than long term strategic leadership.  Perhaps the success of the Hollywood Bowl will change some minds about the worth of the guys who are already right there, but under utilized. 

• Edited September 28, 2017 11:45 am  by  Dan!, Esq. (SMOOTHEE)

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-28 12:26 PM 
To: Dan!, Esq. (SMOOTHEE)  (1521 of 1523) 
 16253.1521 in reply to 16253.1520 

Dan!, Esq. (SMOOTHEE) said...

but why not...

I've put my foot in my mouth enough around here to know that I should plead the fifth on that one. Ask me over a beer someday. I'm buying.

To: Matt (Mtthwas)  (1522 of 1523) 
 16253.1522 in reply to 16253.1517 

So basically, Debbie McClellan definitely isn’t that.

Bill Prady acted real passionate about TM15, yet he was apparently still under contract with BBT to actually do much.

“If the Muppets were a viable franchise, Disney never would have let their TV network cancel their show.” Well, I do keep saying often times they don’t seem particularly keen on owning the franchise. In fact, would it have even happened if Eisner knew he would be forced out? 

Navigate this discussion: 1-2 3-12 13-22 ... 1493-1502 1503-1512 1513-1522 1523
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.