General Discussion -  Repurposed Muppet images on the internet (407 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 16) 

I'm sure this happens to the active Muppet Wiki editors all the time, but I always raise an eyebrow when I come across an image I know came from ToughPigs.com on somebody else's website.

Obviously we have no claim to the screenshots we take, because we don't own the productions.  And the internet is pretty much a free-for-all with that kind of stuff.  But today when I saw an article on Cracked about pop culture parodies of Donald Trump, one of the images they used for Joe Pesci as Ronald Grump looked awfully familiar.  I'm pretty sure it's one I took back in 2009 for my review of the Sesame Street 25th anniversary special, which was later uploaded to the wiki for the Ronald Grump page.

So that's kind of funny.  To me.

Reply   Options 

To: -Ryan R- (PrawnRR)  (2 of 16) 
 17312.2 in reply to 17312.1 

Yeah, the Wiki is easy for people to find (especially when doing online research), and the pictures are super easy to steal.  I almost wish they stole it directly from ToughPigs instead, if only to prove that the people at Cracked read our site.

To: Joe (JParanoid)  (3 of 16) 
 17312.3 in reply to 17312.2 

It's not impossible that they took it directly from TP... It's just less likely.

The fact that they're just now writing about Sesame's Trump parodies, over a year and a half after we had an article on the same subject, is another matter completely.

To: -Ryan R- (PrawnRR)  (4 of 16) 
 17312.4 in reply to 17312.3 

Well.  Your site does come up when researching Muppets so... it might have. If you make images, you should put a small watermark on it. That's what all brands do now.  It makes the sharing less painful.

To: All  (5 of 16) 
 17312.5 in reply to 17312.4 

And by small watermark, I don't mean like what shutterstock does... I mean something tasteful and meant to be seen, in the corner of the image. 

To: *Jes* (queserasera0)  (6 of 16) 
 17312.6 in reply to 17312.4 

I'm really not that possessive about them... Like I said, it's not even our stuff. And I get annoyed at watermarks in general.

To: -Ryan R- (PrawnRR)  (7 of 16) 
 17312.7 in reply to 17312.6 

Yeah, I agree.  I only like having watermarks when it's something that only exists on our site (so, no screengrabs or whatever), and that we use to lure people to our site.  Frankly, I can only think of a few times when we've ever felt it necessary to do that in the past decade.

To: Joe (JParanoid)  (8 of 16) 
 17312.8 in reply to 17312.7 

Joe (JParanoid) said...

I only like having watermarks when it's something that only exists on our site

Right, that's what I meant.

To: -Ryan R- (PrawnRR)  (9 of 16) 
 17312.9 in reply to 17312.6 

-Ryan R- (PrawnRR) said...

I get annoyed at watermarks in general.

I don't mind them if they are artfully done.  It makes it easier to share a photo without guilt.

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-26 6:57 AM 
To: *Jes* (queserasera0)  (10 of 16) 
 17312.10 in reply to 17312.9 

I loathe watermarks, but I wish I'd tagged this one.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.