The Muppets -  Kermit and Piggy Are Still Broken-Up? (673 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 16) 

I'm sure I don't have to remind everyone about the famous break-up between Kermit and Miss Piggy that took place in the summer of 2015, in promotion for The Muppets. I probably also don't have to remind you that Denise and Kermit broke up mid-way through the show, and Kermit and Piggy were slowing re-discovering their relationship toward the end of the show. Well, there you go...consider yourself reminded. 

Earlier today, I happen to come across this interview with Kermit and Piggy for E! News that was done right before the Hollywood Bowl show. In it, the E! reporter asks Kermit and Piggy about their relationship status, and the two of them go on to mention that they are still indeed broken up, as they were in 'real-life' before the show, and during most of the series in entirety. 

Honestly, I'm a little bit surprised that the team is still running with this, considering that the show was cancelled, I had assumed that everything associated with it would slowly be  dropped, including this break-up. Assuming these two are still running with this story, at what point do they "get back together?", and when they do, will they announce they're getting back together, which will only remind people of the TV show they didn't like? Also, while it's never great to approach anything Muppet-related as being 'canon', assuming that these two are sticking with that notion, I guess the plot at the end of the series (including the plane ride), led to nothing? I'm just surprised that they're still running with this, and at what point this story ends, if at all.

Curious what people think! Are you surprised that this is still a thing? I know I am. 

Reply   Options 

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-27 6:35 AM 
To: Mitchell (FoozieBear)  (2 of 16) 
 17315.2 in reply to 17315.1 

The Muppets 2015 was some of the best character development for the Muppets in years. It would be a shame if they just completely dropped it all.

To: Mitchell (FoozieBear)  (3 of 16) 
 17315.3 in reply to 17315.1 

I think Kermit and Piggy's status quo is that they're not together, but they could be.  This makes sense to me, and it keeps the weird drama between them going.

To: Mitchell (FoozieBear)  (4 of 16) 
 17315.4 in reply to 17315.1 

As someone who's favorites are these two and have been following their relationship for years, I think it's safe to say they should stay apart now only because...there's nothing going on right now. 

Cause during the revival, they were officially back together and having them as a couple during the movies was great, but the reason they broke them up (imo) was to spice up the chemistry between them for the new show. 

Sadly, in the first half of the 2015 show they didn't deliver what I was expecting. When the reboot happened for the show, they had Kermit and Piggy working together and interacting, not constantly fighting and being apart. 

I still think the finale of the 2015 show was the best character development ever for Kermit in terms of the relationship, but it is sad to think they flushed all that down the drain when he confirmed at the Vulture Festival that the breakup was the same. 

Honestly, I have no idea why they chose to go that way instead of explaining anything but..at this point do we expect a Muppet Canon to be consistant? Not really lol. 

So, it probably won't be until we get the next movie , tv special, or tv show that they focus on them again. Right now just isn't the time to do that. But also, I think they REALLY need to fix the writing between them first before they do any of that because from the Hollywood Bowl interviews, I'm not happy with what I saw.

I'm hoping to write a long article about my current feelings on them in the future.   

• Edited September 27, 2017 9:59 am  by  Sunny (SunnyHopps)

To: Joe (JParanoid)  (5 of 16) 
 17315.5 in reply to 17315.3 

Yeah, if it's not part of the story in an ongoing series, they're best off not really together and not really apart.  "We're still broken up" probably seemed like the best answer in the moment for that interview, but I hope they never do a big "We're back together!" announcement.

To: Mitchell (FoozieBear)  (6 of 16) 
 17315.6 in reply to 17315.1 

I believe the Team Love/Team Friendship chart suggested that if Kermit and Piggy got back together, the show would be cancelled, so I had always assumed that they got back together after that flight since the show disappeared right after! 

To: Mitchell (FoozieBear)  (7 of 16) 
 17315.7 in reply to 17315.1 

I think if they get back together, it should be done as publicity for some project. Which means we have to wait until there's some big Muppet project for their relationship status to change.

To: Erik (TErikBrowne)  (8 of 16) 
 17315.8 in reply to 17315.7 

But they already did that for publicity reasons.  If they get back together, I think the stakes would have to be a bit higher.  Maybe as a plot point in the next movie/show/whatever.

To: Erik (TErikBrowne)  (9 of 16) 
 17315.9 in reply to 17315.7 

I don't really think that would happen, because getting them "back together", would only remind people of the TV show they didn't like, and causing another distaste for the franchise, instead of moving ahead and trying new things.

To: Mitchell (FoozieBear)  (10 of 16) 
 17315.10 in reply to 17315.9 

I don't think so. Remember how everyone was so upset over their breakup and it was all over the news?

If they did a huge "we're back together" announcement, I bet everyone would be really excited for it.

But again like I said, I want them to wait on that. They need to do more movies/tv specials and work on the writing and character development before that happens.

There isn't anything planned at the moment, so I'd rather leave them broken up for now.

But being mean towards each other instead of being..I don't know friendly to each other is bugging me so much since they're my favorite characters. 

I just want them to get a long again. 

• Edited September 27, 2017 7:52 pm  by  Sunny (SunnyHopps)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.