Henson Co. & Creature Shop -  Flight of the Navigator remake (291 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-29 11:14 AM 
To: All  (1 of 13) 

Henson is producing it, so it probably won't happen.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/80s-alien-abduction-adventure-flight-of-the-navigator-i-1818965444

'80s Alien-Abduction Adventure Flight of the Navigator Is Getting a Remake

Thanks to It and Stranger Things, it makes sense that any scifi or fantasy property that revolves around scrappy kids would get put on the fast track. And a new one has entered the fray, plucked from the same era that inspired those two hits: a remake of 1986 kid-meets-aliens adventure Flight of the Navigator.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Joe Henderson—showrunner on Lucifer, which returns Monday to Fox—will put the Devil aside temporarily to pen a script for the reboot. The original film, a Disney release, is about a 12-year-old Florida kid who goes missing in 1978 and turns up in 1986, having not aged a day. The reason: aliens (led by Max, who’s voiced by Paul “Pee-Wee Herman” Reubens), who end up needing his help to fix their broken ship so they can return home, no thanks to the interference of NASA along the way. So far there’s no word on how Henderson might change the story, or if the new Navigator will update its setting to the present day or even the future.

After a proposed Disney version of the remake failed to launch in 2009, this new Lionsgate-made version of the film will be produced by the Henson Co., which will no doubt bring its puppet expertise in helping craft the movie’s cast of alien and robot characters.

Reply   Options 

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 13) 
 17317.2 in reply to 17317.1 

Remaking another one of my favorite '80s movies?  Come on.

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-29 11:36 AM 
To: Joe (JParanoid)  (3 of 13) 
 17317.3 in reply to 17317.2 

I think this one's fair. No disrespect (as you just cited it as a favorite; I also loved it as a kid), I haven't seen it in years and figured it probably didn't hold up well and would do well with a remake.

Ditto The Last Starfighter (which I think had the next Sesame Street movie's director Shawn Levy attached at one point).

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 13) 
 17317.4 in reply to 17317.3 

I've seen it in recent years, and I can attest that it holds up.

I have The Last Starfighter on my Netflix watch list.  I haven't seen it since I was a kid.  I hope it doesn't suck!

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 13) 
 17317.5 in reply to 17317.1 

I think Flight of the Navigator is pretty far on the "It holds up" end of the childhood classics spectrum.  If Mac and Me is 0% and Back to the Future is 90%, Flight of the Navigator might be 70-75%.

I'm not optimistic this will actually happen, but I'm not going to say it would inevitably be terrible.  Sadly, any remake that gets made probably won't have the same awesome synth score that sounds like it was composed by robots.

From: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-29 1:24 PM 
To: -Ryan R- (PrawnRR)  (6 of 13) 
 17317.6 in reply to 17317.5 

Wow, that's good to hear about the original holding up. I don't have much reason to watch it now, but maybe I'll put it on some night to fall asleep to.

To: All  (7 of 13) 
 17317.7 in reply to 17317.6 

I still remember being SO SPOOKED by this movie. I think I was too young when I saw it. I also remember loving that part where he comes back and they ask him who's the president and he's like, "Carter, duh." Even I understood he thought it was still the late 70s! I was so spooked by that!

I also saw that Wizard of Oz remake a little too young. I can't remember what it was called - not the Muppets one, lol - but it was super spooky.

Poltergeist I also saw too young but I was too young to understand enough to be scared. I thought ghosts could do cool tricks like turn all the kitchen chairs upside down.

To: Scott (scarecroe) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 13) 
 17317.8 in reply to 17317.6 

As always, your mileage may vary.  But I still like it.  It does a good job of getting across the fear and confusion that would come with those circumstances... but then it's also funny.

To: max_stein  (9 of 13) 
 17317.9 in reply to 17317.7 

Are you thinking of Return to Oz, Disney's "sequel" from the 80s where Dorothy goes back and Oz is ruined, and she meets some strange characters including Jack Pumpkinhead, performed by Brian Henson?

To: -Ryan R- (PrawnRR)  (10 of 13) 
 17317.10 in reply to 17317.9 

Wow, serious SIRE watching that trailer. Fairuza Balk - whom I LOVE in Gas Food Lodging - does a mean Judy Garland! And looks like there was a Muppet connection after all! :)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.