General -  Choosing Locomotive Lighting (205 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (11 of 17) 
 132.11 in reply to 132.10 

I have thought about maybe installing one or two more. I have several already. The problem is that the newer dimmer switches really require a proper grounding wire, and this very old home has almost no grounded outlets or electrical boxes. 

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-29 12:17 AM 
To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (12 of 17) 
 132.12 in reply to 132.11 

My dad's house was built in 1955 and all the electrical wiring had metal conduit around it. The backplate of the switch was also metal too.

So what he did was connect the ground wire to the metal backplate behind the switch to ground it.

Another option you can do... or should I say have an electrician do... is to pull all the two-wire electrical wiring out and replace it with three-wire cabling.

You would need an electrical wiring schematic available and go to your circuit breaker and then turn all the power to your house off. Then one pair of wiring at a time, remove it from the actual circuit breaker itself, have 3-wire cable firmly attached to the 2-wire cable you currently have (soldering them together and taping them is the best method. Then go to the wall socket or wall switch and disconnect the other side of that pair from the socket or switch and just slowly pull the 2-wire out with the 3-wire attached. Once the three wire comes out the other end, just cut the 2-wire to 3-wire soldered portion and reattach the wires to the socket or switch and ensure the ground wire on your circuit breaker is firmly attached to ground.

Depending on how large your home is, that might cost quite a bit but you could probably get an estimate and see whether it's worth it or not. It would upgrade the electrical status of your house which would give for a better appraisal value if you ever wanted to sell it.

Here's an article you might find interesting: Do Light Switches Need To Be Grounded? - LED & Lighting Info (ledlightinginfo.com)

FWIW

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (13 of 17) 
 132.13 in reply to 132.12 

I could attach the ground wire to the metal conduit or metal box (which was the case with a dimmer switch I recently replaced), but that's not as good as actually having ground wiring. At some point, I may just invest in getting proper ground wiring installed everywhere, or at least more places than it is. Ironically, even some of the 3-prong outlets are not actually grounded. 

Good point about the upgrade adding value to the home. That's a good reason for me to give this more consideration! 

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-30 6:53 AM 
To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (14 of 17) 
 132.14 in reply to 132.13 

My home was built 31 years ago in 1990.

Japanese homes at that time had basically 2-wire with a few 3-wire receptacles mainly for refrigerator, washing machine/dryer, microwave oven, 200V air conditioners, etc. But even back then, most of those devices didn't have 3-wire plugs, they only had this green wire that you separately attach to ground as you can see in the picture below for our washing machine.

Newer homes today are all fitted with 3-wire receptacles.

FWIW 

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-30 6:54 AM 
To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (15 of 17) 
 132.15 in reply to 132.13 

Temporarily you can attach the ground to the metal backplate or metal piping until you upgrade the entire wiring.

FWIW

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (16 of 17) 
 132.16 in reply to 132.14 

Oh, very interesting! 

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (17 of 17) 
 132.17 in reply to 132.15 

Yeah, that was my thought too. 

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-17
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.