General -  CO has some great scenic train trips (147 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 7:54 AM 
To: All  (1 of 14) 

Guide to Colorado Train Trips

Ride back in time on Colorado’s scenic and historic railroads, some of which traverse still-wild terrain that can’t be easily experienced by any other form of transit.

Before you book, check the trains’ websites for information on fun themed and seasonal excursions: fall-color photo trips, wine-and-dine tours, mystery dinners, winter North Pole festivities and more.

1. CUMBRES & TOLTEC SCENIC RAILROAD

This 1880 vintage line is best known for its appearance in “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.” A National Historic Landmark on wheels, the Cumbres & Toltec steams 64 miles over the Rocky Mountains along cliffs, through narrow Toltec Gorge, over 10,000-foot Cumbres Pass and through miles of evergreen and aspen forest with 100-mile views in every direction.  
Start and End Points: Antonito, CO, and Chama, NM
Bonus Tracks: The C&T runs several special trains throughout the year, including moonlight dinner runs and the Cinder Bear Express, designed especially for kids.

"The Railroader" is a new short in National Geographic Short Film Showcase that follows the Cumbres & Toltec's very own John Bush, his story of falling in love with railroading, and why the C&TS means so much to America.

2. GEORGETOWN LOOP RAILROAD

To connect the mining towns of Georgetown and Silver Plume — only 2 miles apart through a steep, narrow canyon — the railroad’s 1880s builders constructed tracks that corkscrewed up more than 600 feet in elevation on four bridges. 
Start and End Points: Silver Plume and Georgetown
Bonus Tracks: Passengers can elect to disembark to tour the historic Lebanon Silver Mine at roughly the halfway point on the trip.

3. DURANGO & SILVERTON NARROW GAUGE RAILROAD

This coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive runs 200 feet above the Animas River, featuring views of majestic peaks as it passes through the remote canyons and wilderness of the Animas Gorge and San Juan National Forest. 
Start and End Points: Durango and Silverton
Bonus Tracks: Backpackers, day hikers and fishermen can get on and off the train mid-route to access to the San Juan National Forest and Weminuche Wilderness.

More at

https://www.colorado.com/articles/complete-guide-colorado-train-trips

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 11:08 AM 
To: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 14) 
 434.2 in reply to 434.1 

Wow... these are so cool... Here is video footage of the first one. The scenery is second to none... and pulled by a steam engine to boot!

1. CUMBRES & TOLTEC SCENIC RAILROAD

FWIW

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 11:33 AM 
To: All  (3 of 14) 
 434.3 in reply to 434.2 

Here's the second one... yet even more astoundingly beautiful scenery...

2. GEORGETOWN LOOP RAILROAD

FWIW

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 11:50 AM 
To: All  (4 of 14) 
 434.4 in reply to 434.3 
This one is not quite as scenic, but still looks like a fun ride...

At the 50 second mark, there is a train signal, but no train gate... instead... they have a train guy walking out into the middle of the road holding a stop sign. (* CHUCKLE *) I kid you not.

3. DURANGO & SILVERTON NARROW GAUGE RAILROAD

FWIW

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 11:59 AM 
To: All  (5 of 14) 
 434.5 in reply to 434.4 

This one has a bit of scenery, but you see the same thing twice... going there and then back again...

4. LEADVILLE, COLORADO & SOUTHERN RAILROAD

FWIW

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 1:11 PM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 14) 
 434.6 in reply to 434.2 

This is a lovely trip for sure!   They all are great though  :)

• Edited June 22, 2022 1:12 pm  by  Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

From: Howard (HDRAUT) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-22 7:43 PM 
To: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 14) 
 434.7 in reply to 434.1 

Having ridden all three I think the Cumbres & Toltec is by far the most interesting. The ride takes all day and crosses the New Mexico/Colorado state line 11 times. The terrain and scenery very a lot. The yard in Chama has lots of interesting equipment setting around including a steam snow blower which they use to open the line some years. The Durango and Silverton is also good but more tourist oriented. The Georgetown Loop is good but basically runs between two exits on I-70. Much of the line can be seen from a scenic viewing area on eastbound I-70.  

Reply   Options 

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-23 5:10 AM 
To: Howard (HDRAUT) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 14) 
 434.8 in reply to 434.7 

Awesome, good for you!  I bet they were all fun though!

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-23 12:39 PM 
To: Howard (HDRAUT) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 14) 
 434.9 in reply to 434.7 

Kewl... I've never ridden a one, but just looking at the videoclips... the Cumbres & Toltec route was my favorite too.

FWIW

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-24 3:19 AM 
To: All  (10 of 14) 
 434.10 in reply to 434.5 

The beautiful landscape in this trip is awesome... you can only see it by rail or raft/kayak.

5. ROYAL GORGE ROUTE RAILROAD

FWIW

• Edited June 24, 2022 3:20 am  by  WALTER784

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-14
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.