International Train News -  Japan's most luxurious train - Hinotori (115 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-20 11:28 AM 
To: All  (1 of 12) 

Japan's most luxurious train - Hinotori (Phoenix)

FWIW

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-21 3:28 AM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 12) 
 692.2 in reply to 692.1 

That is a very, relaxing train, I could easily doze off on it, and so nice looking!

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-21 9:18 AM 
To: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 12) 
 692.3 in reply to 692.2 

Nagoya is 396 kilometers south of Tokyo

And Osaka is 591 kilometers south of Tokyo

That means between Nagoya and Osaka there are 195 kilimeters.

I've been from Tokyo to Osaka (591km) over 600 times round trip so that's more than 1,200 times.

I've also been from Tokyo to Nagoya (396km) over 300 times round trip so that's more than 600 times.

But I've never taken a train just between Nagoya and Osaka which this train takes, so I've never ridden it.

My HQ were always in Tokyo and customers were spread-out all-over Japan, but the most frequented cities were both Osaka and Nagoya.

Outside of those two cities, I've visited the following cities more than 100 times each: Aomori, Kobe, Takamatsu & Kagoshima. And many other cities 60 times or less in 42 of the 47 prefectures throughout Japan. Most of them by train, but a few by airplane too.. for the more distant ones.

FWIW 

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-21 9:57 AM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 12) 
 692.4 in reply to 692.3 

Oh gosh, that's a LOT of train riding!

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-21 11:08 AM 
To: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 12) 
 692.5 in reply to 692.4 

But that doesn't include all of my daily commutes to where I worked.

I've moved 7 times and changed jobs 7 times but change of job doesn't necessarily equate moving either.

My first job, I worked very far away but moved closer and in the opposite direction of travel to reduce the crowded trains at the same job.

But when I changed jobs, I could no longer live at the previous place, so I had to move out which was my 3rd move. But again, I was going with the majority of the commuter flow so within a year, I moved again to go once again, against the majority flow.

Then I changed jobs again, but because the commute was so short (only 5 stops), I decided to stay. Up until this time, I was single.

Then, I got married and my single room was cramped so I moved close by to a larger apartment after getting married. (Still only 5 stops away). We had two kids, and everything was going fine. Then, I changed jobs again, but for the good because I was going in the opposite of the majority of travel.

Then, my wife got pregnant again and well, a larger place in Tokyo was just too expensive so I moved to the outskirts of Tokyo, but with plenty of room. I then changed jobs after a few years but stayed at the same distant location. However, travel increased from 45 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes. As the apartment we were renting was quite cheap compared to the smaller place we had in downtown Tokyo, we were able to save up quite a bit of money. My 3rd son was 2 years of age and so I decided to look for a place to build a home but knew it couldn't be too close to Tokyo.

I searched for over a year for the right place and that's when I found it. 1 hour and 30 minutes from Tokyo, closer than the 1 hour 50 minute commute and a 2-story home with a nice sized front yard and the Limited Express train stopped at the nearest station to where I lived. That cut the 1.5-hour trip down to 47 minutes. 

And that is where I have been commuting from for the last 33 years. Far enough out to sit down, is a stop for the limited express, and only 47 minutes away from downtown Tokyo by limited express. Local trains take 1 hour 20 minutes by the way.

Edited to add: Oh, and I've changed companies twice since buying my home too!

FWIW

• Edited November 21, 2022 11:09 am  by  WALTER784

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-21 12:46 PM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 12) 
 692.6 in reply to 692.5 

Oh my gosh, you are wearing me out!  I'm hoping you are staying put!

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-22 5:29 AM 
To: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 12) 
 692.7 in reply to 692.6 

Well, due to... or thanks to... Covid... my last year in my company was last year. And during that last year, I only travelled into Tokyo 2 times. Once for my medical exam and the other to return my company PC and finalize my retirement paperwork.

Since then, I've only ridden a local train (stops at every station) about 8 or 9 times and even then, only for 4 stops (approx. 20 minutes).

So, I'm totally done with the daily commute, the travelling all around the country to customer's sites, etc.

I've ridden more than my fair share of trains and only special ones might I take in the future going forward.

FWIW

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-22 6:15 AM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 12) 
 692.8 in reply to 692.7 

Not a good reason to retire but I bet you feel better when you did.  I do know my last day, when the door shut for the last time, I felt a lot better.

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-22 8:05 AM 
To: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 12) 
 692.9 in reply to 692.8 

I'd been planning for retirement several years earlier.

I considered working a few more years, but with Covid, and the fact that my mortgage was paid off about 8 years ago, car loan paid off 2 years ago and my nice severance pay... I figured why not splurge.

Since retirement, I'm absolutely happy I retired when I did. 

I can wake up when I want to, go to sleep when I want to, drink wine at whatever time I feel like and do whatever I want to. (* CHUCKLE *)

As for spending my time... well, I've increased my Delphi and other internet browsing quite a bit as well as doing a little bit of Japanese to English translation work on the side. $20.00 per page... on and off jobs, 10 pages here, 20 pages there, the occasional 100 pager... don't really need the money, but it helps keep me busy. Depending on the technicality of the material to translate, it takes on average 5 minutes per page (more or less). 

FWIW

From: Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-22 9:50 AM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 12) 
 692.10 in reply to 692.9 

I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

I've done the same, much more internet time, forum time especially with a dash of FB at times LOL

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-12
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.