Union Pacific -  Union Pacific Invented the Ski Chairlift (92 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-15 2:55 PM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

Union Pacific Invented the Ski Chairlift?

You expect innovation from a name like Union Pacific, although with the company’s rich history, you may be surprised how far its achievements in technology and engineering reach. Take for example the ski chairlift, spotlighted in the Union Pacific Museum’s newest exhibit, “Discovered!: Winter Sports Under a Summer Sun: The Railroad and Sun Valley.”

In 1936, in hopes of boosting passenger travel on its rails, Union Pacific built a ski resort in Ketchum, Idaho, called Sun Valley Resort. In those days, skiers relied on tricky rope-tows to access the top of a mountain. During the resort’s planning stages, Union Pacific’s Chairman of the Board, Averell Harriman, thought the destination could lure more visitors by offering a safer, faster way to get skiers up the slopes. He asked the railroad’s mechanical engineers to develop something new.

Union Pacific’s James Curran, an Omaha-based Engineering Department employee, had previously worked for Paxton Vierling Steel in the Gulf ports. There he watched pulley systems hook bunches of bananas and haul them to the dock. Curran figured hauling bananas and hauling skiers was not all that different – limit bruising and try not to drop them.

More at

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/ski-lift-exhibit-it-230115.htm?agfc=InsideTrack&agfm=JangoMail&agfs=social

• Edited January 15, 2023 2:55 pm  by  Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

From: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-16 10:26 AM 
To: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 766.2 in reply to 766.1 

Wow... this is so fascinating... I never knew about this.

Edited to add: But I have taken numerous ski lifts!!!

FWIW

• Edited January 16, 2023 10:27 am  by  WALTER784

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-17 5:01 AM 
To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 766.3 in reply to 766.2 

I had no ide either, I was quite surprised.

LOL That is good, it's railroad related!   :)

From: ThE CrAzEy LeMmInG (ROBERTJVAN) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-17 9:43 AM 
To: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 766.4 in reply to 766.1 

Interesting even though i do not ski.

https://people.delphiforums.com/ROBERTJVAN/Delphi/sigs/firefox_blinkie.gif

Charter Delphi Plus member!

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-17 10:08 AM 
To: ThE CrAzEy LeMmInG (ROBERTJVAN) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 766.5 in reply to 766.4 

I don't either but I was surprised!

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.