The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Cstar1

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Gold Rush Destroying the Amazon   South America

Started Nov-11 by Cstar1; 83 views.
Cstar1
Host

Nov-11

Cstar1
Host

Nov-12

Thanks - just devastating. As if they didn't have enough problems with just logging. Mining with mercury is devastating to the landscape. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Nov-23

Saw a special on TV, (PBS?) a few years ago, it it showed the crazy meter square claims being mined by bucket and sluice over large tracts of land, thousands of registered claims.  The army was there as peacekeepers as it could get a little fractious with claim jumping and such.  As I understand it, the mining has shifted to direct high pressure hydraulic mines covering large swaths of land since that feature.

BTW, ever been to the area of California above Sacramento and Folsom?  Amazing the amount of damage that was done by 19th century hydraulic mining in California to Idaho and some other areas between the Coast and Yellowstone.

Cstar1
Host

Nov-24

Bike (URALTOURIST1) said:

BTW, ever been to the area of California above Sacramento and Folsom?  Amazing the amount of damage that was done by 19th century hydraulic mining in California to Idaho and some other areas between the Coast and Yellowstone.

Not that I remember. 

But I have seen whole mountainsides filled with rubble from the gold and silver mines in the Colorado mountains.