The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Cstar1

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

3 states face security updates   Travel by Plane

Started Jan-7 by Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1); 95 views.

A Driver's License May Not Work for Air Travel in These 3 States — Starting This Month

Airport security could face a major change in Louisiana, Michigan, and New York on Jan. 22 if REAL ID extensions aren't granted.

CAILEY RIZZO 
JANUARY 07, 2018

Starting Jan. 22, airport security rules could change for many travelers around the country.

As the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) attempts to roll out the REAL ID Act, confusion has ensued for many people at the airport. The act, meant to beef up security for ID cards at the state level, has become an avalanche of constantly changing deadlines.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/real-id-act-airport-security?utm_campaign=&utm_content=5a528dda04d301774ffcd960&utm_medium=&utm_source=&xid=TrueAnthem_Twitter

You can and will be able to travel in and through those listed states, the residents of those states may not be able to fly on US or any other airlines as their state issued ID is not longer valid after 1/22/18.

Louisiana, New York and Michigan residents can just stay home if they cannot get their state's act together.  Maybe they can go to another state and get a Real ID classed ID card issued.  The Feds don't care what state issues the card, they are just interested in the data implied in the cards, are you who you say your are?  It's as simple as that.

The headline should read :

A Driver's License (ISSUED BY THESE STATES) May Not Work for Air Travel, Starting This Month

In reply toRe: msg 3

It's not like these states had no warnings, DHS, INS and others have been requiring these cards for quite a few years now.  Maybe these states need to get off their dead arses?

Of course the writer of the panic article did not really read the Act and its sequellae, Michigan and NY both offer Real ID D/L cards while not in full compliance with the Act as written, Louisiana being the only state with NO Real ID d/l offering.

WIKI, Real ID Act; passed in 2005:

On December 20, 2013, the Department of Homeland Security announced that implementation of Phase 1 would begin on January 20, 2014, which followed a yearlong period of "deferred enforcement". There are four planned phases, three of which apply to areas that affect relatively few U.S. citizens—e.g., DHS headquarters, nuclear power plants, and restricted and semi-restricted federal facilities.[5] On January 8, 2016, DHS issued an implementation schedule for Phase 4, stating that starting January 22, 2018 "passengers with a driver's license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight". Starting October 1, 2020 "every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel."[6] As of December 2017, 28 states and territories have been certified as compliant, and 28 have been granted extensions or are under review.[7]

I have till 2020 to get mine change.   I'm not planning to go anywhere, so I'm not going to bother.

I agree your headline is more clear

It is/was a deal about the state not having them to issue.  Early renewal or exchange to get the latest and greatest is your option.

I don't know anyone here who has upgrade theirs as yet