The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Tips to make your trip more enjoyable   General Travel Discussion

Started Dec-11 by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 1000 views.

MY 100 BEST TRAVEL TIPS FROM EIGHT YEARS OF TRAVEL

1. Eat the local food

Plan as little as possible

One of the first lessons I learned on the road was that your plans will nearly always change. You’ll arrive in a place and hate it and want to leave immediately, or you’ll fall in love with a destination and want to spend longer there. You’ll make friends with a group of awesome people and want to change your plans so you can travel with them for longer, or you’ll find out about an amazing-sounding town that’s nearby and want to head there instead.

Travel insurance is everything

Carry around spare passport photos

Keep everything important in your daypack

I’m fortunate to have never had to deal with lost luggage, but I did have my backpack ripped open on a flight and I was grateful to have not had anything valuable in it at the time. I’ve also been on dodgy buses in Southeast Asia where we’ve arrived at our destination and people have had items stolen by someone hiding out in the luggage hold while we were transit.

If there’s anything I’d be upset to lose, I keep it in my daypack, which is always by my side on travel days. For me, that’s my passport, laptop, camera, external hard drive, a debit card, and some spare cash. As long as I have all of these, I can survive indefinitely.

Read more here at 

https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com/100-best-travel-tips/

kizmet1

Dec-28

PBS travel host Rick Steves has suggested having yogurt when traveling. It helps with digestion when eating local food you are not used to.

I like him, I watch him on PBS on Sundays.

kizmet1

Dec-28

I wstch sometimes but things he does are not meant for those with my budget.

I agree, his shows and most others are for those with deep pockets.

kizmet1

Dec-28

Yeah. Also, he voiced his approval of making pot legal in his home state of Washington. It changed my thinking about him. He used Holland as a good example. Well, in much of Europe people get around very well without cars. They have for generations. Not so here. I worry about pot users behind the wheel.

I agree, it wil be a huge problem here in the states.  

kizmet1

Dec-28

I have come people at the large bus stops under the influence. That was the first time I thought about getting a cell phone.

Nowdays cell phones are a necessity for safey reasons.

kizmet1

Dec-28

Yes, they are, especially if on foot.