The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Carlsbad Caverns National Park   U.S.A

Started Dec-23 by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 130 views.

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Has Bats, Underground Caves, and More — Here's How to Plan Your Visit

There’s plenty to see above and below ground at Carlsbad Caverns National Park and UNESCO World Heritage Site in New Mexico. Cacti, Ponderosa pines, canyons, and cougars abound at ground level, while a lesson in geology hides just below the surface, where you can wander through the intricate maze of more than 119 enormous caves that lurk underneath the Chihuahuan Desert.

Millions of years in the making, a network of stalagmites and stalactites loom large, continuing to grow droplet by droplet in these formidable chambers that were created thanks to naturally occurring sulfuric acid seeping into and dissolving the limestone.

While the area is home to many desert creatures, the most famous residents are the Brazilian free-tailed bats, which billow out of the caves at twilight in search of food, creating a massive dark cloud and the unmistakable sound of hundreds of thousands of whooshing wings.

More at;

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/national-parks/carlsbad-caverns-national-park?taid=5e00c88e6823370001706bee&utm_campaign=travelandleisure_travelleisure_trueanthem&utm_content=travelnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

kizmet1

Dec-28

Cougars? I will carry pepper spray.

I think I would too!