The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Airport Charging Stations Unsafe   General Travel Discussion

Started Dec-28 by kizmet1; 159 views.
kizmet1

Dec-28

Recently travel and computer experts have been saying to carry power packs for your phones instead of using charging stations in airports. Seems scam artists have tapped into them and can steal info from your device.
Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Jan-11

These charging ports are quite safe, security can be iffy if it allows data.  A plain charging port is OK and is usually marked if it is OK.

kizmet1

Jan-15

I believe it was the hacking of valuable data that people are concerned about. Some sort of gizmos were put on the charging stations.
Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Jan-18

Many of the public charging stations had (or used to have) an internet, comm, or wi-fi link as part of the service provided, it allowed the owner of the device to determine who was using the service, no real intent to track or abuse the user but that came with the rise of hackers.  Newer devices have the link disabled or simply absent, look at the charger stations in hospitals and airports of late, many are now stating "safe for use" that means the comm link is absent. 

You should note that really cheap chargers that plug into A/C never have a comm link, that is why the cables for these cheap chargers are useless EXCEPT as charge cables, not as data links, even though they plug in nicely.  This lack of use flexibility is one reason why they are good for use anywhere, data connections are missing.

kizmet1

Jan-18

Thank you for the info. If I ever travel again I will feel secure. No one had phones last time I traveled. Times sure have changed.
Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Jan-18

Not all of the funky ones are gone, still pays to read the signs, better yet, carry a cheapo charger and use it.  Or, as noted, you could carry a battery brick and just charge IT, hooking it to your phone ONLY when it is not connected to the charge device.  The little Dongle Device could be used as well, but that is another device to worry about.

kizmet1

Jan-18

Since I do not travel farther than the public library I carry a couple of precharged devices with me on the days I do research.