The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

10 cool things to do in Amsterdam   Europe

Started Jan-1 by Gimmie Coffee Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 112 views.

10 cool things to do over a long weekend in Amsterdam

You could easily spend a week or more exploring Amsterdam. That said, frequent direct flights from the U.S. and competitive fares, plus the ease of getting around once you land, make it the perfect place for a long-weekend escape

Canal cruise: You can’t beat the experience of floating through the city aboard the Pulitzer's classic salon boat, which dates back to 1909 and has hosted famous figures such as Winston Churchill.

Rijksmuseum: Browse an impressive collection of works by Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn and Johannes Vermeer.

Anne Frank House: You can step behind the bookcase that hid the the annex where the famous Dutch teen and her family hid from the Nazis. Warning: Because it’s such an important and popular attraction, advanced booking is a must.

See more here at 

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/destinations/2019/12/31/amsterdam-10-cool-things-you-should-do-while-dutch-capital/2697823001/

When I click the link, it doesn't go to the link...

But I'll make my own list; I've been there four or five times, the latest one in December last - not sure if I can do ten, but here goes.

1. Anne Frank House - definitely. I was there about twenty years ago and it was more real - now everything is behind perspex, but it's still very moving

2. If you go there this winter, you can do a canal tour by night, when you can see the illuminated artworks in the canals. And sneak a peak into the lives lived in the canal boat

3. Leidseplein - the streets around here are full of fabulous Indonesian restaurants. Ask for the Reistafel - a rotating "lazy Susan" with different dishes which you eat with your bowl of rice

4. The Begijnhof - a lovely oasis in the middle of the city, a triangle of houses inhabited by old ladies, with a green in the middle. You can wander around the green, and visit the two small churches, one Protestant, one Catholic

I'm sorry the link didn't work, I'll try to see why it didn't.

Lovely tips, thank you for sharing them!