The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Driving the Pacific Coast Highway   Travel by Car/Bus/Trains

Started Jan-15 by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 302 views.

Driving the Pacific Coast Highway

With nearly 650 miles of coastal views, it’s no wonder that State Route 1 — more commonly known as the Pacific Coast Highway — is considered one of the most scenic drives in the United States. It’s the longest state route in California and, undoubtedly, the state’s most popular road trip destination.

Where to find the Pacific Coast Highway

This highway begins in Orange County’s Dana Point, and stretches north to “The City by the Bay,” San Francisco. You can complete the drive in just under eight hours, but there's more to the Pacific Coast Highway than just sweeping views. And if you stop at every worthwhile attraction and landmark along the way, you could easily make this drive last for weeks.

Where to stop

There are many major stops that should be considered non-negotiable on your Pacific Coast Highway travel agenda: the laid-back surfer town of Huntington Beach and the action-packed city of Los Angeles, where endless ocean views give way to a sprawling urban metropolis. In the north, you can’t miss Big Sur and the famous 17-Mile Drive, or charming Carmel-by-the-Sea: one of America's favorite beach towns. And that's just scratching the surface.

More at 

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/road-trips/road-trip-guide-pacific-coast-highway-california-route-1?utm_campaign=travelandleisure_travelleisure_trueanthem&utm_content=bestofevergreen&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=5e1f3014ceb08f00012a0017

kizmet1

Jan-15

I would add to that the area in Bodega Bay where The Birds was filmed with Tippi Hedren and Suzanne Pleshette being attacked by birds. The house is gone but the sa is still there.
Many winding seaside miles to the nirth is Fort Ross, the place that was claimed by Russia until they pulled out and a man named Sutter bought it. Later, he had gold discovered on his land not too far away, hence the name "the 49ers".
Meriana

Jan-17

Have driven the California coast a number of times. However we started in Washington state, and drove the Oregon coast, then down the California coast. So many sights to see and interesting roadside attractions.  As far as what to see on the California coast I'd add the Spanish Missions, and Santa Barbara is a lovely town to visit too

That sounds very enjoyable, driving the coast like you did. I would love to do that some day.  

Meriana

Jan-17

The Oregon coast is beautiful although far more rugged than the California coast. It does have some great little seaside towns to visit with great food, and of course the Sea Lion caves. They're a bit smelly but interesting.  Don't forget the Redwoods in northern California.  There are so many beautiful places to see in this country, my dream trip has always been to zig zag across this country and see as much of it as possible. 

I love your dream trip, I'd love to do the same, and so many ways to see it, car, RV, bus, cruise ships, train... I'd love to go by all of the above.

kizmet1

Jan-19

I've always wanted to drive the whole nation. I envy you. I live in OR but have only been as far as to where the Rogue empties into the sea but it was dark out and I was with friends who were driving. I have been as far North as an obscure place in WA called Taholah. Scenery sure changes as one goes north.