The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Disney World, Disneyland to stay closed   General Travel Discussion

Started Mar-28 by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 279 views.

Disney World, Disneyland to stay closed indefinitely amid coronavirus pandemic

Citing an "increasingly complex crisis," Disneyland and Disney World are going to stay closed "until further notice" due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Walt Disney Company said Friday.

The company's decision dashes hopes that the fabled theme parks would reopen by next month, as had been previously announced.  Earlier this week, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood announced they were extending their closures through April 19. 

For Disney, the concern was about making sure park-goers and employees aren't exposed to virus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2020/03/27/coronavirus-disney-world-disneyland-universal-orlando-universal-studios-hollywood-closures/2930354001/

BlueMoon67

Apr-1

I saw that notice in the Disneyland App last week. They are also stopping construction. They were building a new "land" in Disney California Adventure, and a new ride in ToonTown at Disneyland. 

I also noticed that the Disneyland App appears to be getting ready to create more virtual queues in the same fashion as Rise of the Resistance (the only ride with a virtual queue at present). It does appear that they are gearing up for a post-pandemic theme park environment. They now have a "My Queues" section of the app, implying that there will be multiple rides with queues, and not just the one. 

It will be interesting to see how they come out of this, they are wisely planning for a long term closing.

BlueMoon67

Apr-5

They are definitely busy behind the scenes. They have added more games to the Play Disney Parks app. They still send me notifications through the app, which short messages and reminders about playing the games, watching Disney content, or shopping online. It appears they are still trying to project a positive tone. 

RGoss99

Apr-5

I am not sure why this is considered news. Disney and other theme Parks should have been the first and most logical places shut down as they are places with large concentrations of locals and foreign tourists, more so then sports stadiums.

I think we need more positive, too much negative is harmful to us mentally.  Good for them! 

I think so too, I wondered when they would close.. they didn't do it soon enough.  But then looking back,I don't think most of us expected this virus to be so widespread and so eaisly spread.

BlueMoon67

Apr-7

Disneyland changed their mind about charging pass holders. Here's what they sent me this morning:

This is a truly unprecedented time for all of us, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work through the many details related to the temporary closure of the theme parks. We recognize this may be a challenging time, so we wanted to share how we will assist our Annual Passholders. 

Effective April 5, 2020, for Annual Passholders on monthly payments, we will automatically stop and waive all upcoming monthly payments while the theme parks are closed. We will also retroactively refund payments made between March 14 through April 4, 2020. Payments will resume on the Passholder’s regularly scheduled payment dates once the parks reopen. Please note, Passport expiration dates will not be extended and Passports will expire upon their originally scheduled expiration dates. 

As an alternative, guests who are paying for Disneyland Resort Annual Passes using our monthly payment program may choose to have their monthly payments postponed starting with payments due April 5 through the park closure period, and then resumed on the Passholder’s regularly scheduled payment date once the parks reopen. Postponed payments will be collected in the months following the end of the Passholder’s currently scheduled payment term. The Passport expiration date will be extended due to the theme park closures to provide additional access opportunities at the end of the Passport term.

Good, I'm glad they are doing the right thing, people should not lose money for something that is not their fault.

BlueMoon67

Apr-7

I think they had to give in because there were too many complaints. Also, they probably waited until they had the software program in place before announcing it.