The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Traveler reports on Universal Orlando   U.S.A

Started Jun-9 by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 118 views.

I Went to Universal Orlando on Opening Day — Here’s What It Was Really Like

Universal Orlando is now open to the public, with strict health and safety precautions in place. Here's what it was like on opening day.

Adjusting to life's “new normal” of face masks, social distancing, and many, many restrictions hasn’t been easy on any of us. So you can probably understand why I had mixed feelings about attending the June 5 reopening of Universal Orlando Resort, on the first day that the park welcomed the public since it closed on March 15 because of coronavirus.

Aside from flying to Florida, and spending time around a large crowd of strangers for the first time in three months, I was concerned that the safety protocols and restrictions would take the joy out of a place designed specifically for entertainment. What would a theme park experience be like with social distancing? What would wait times be like when rides were only running at half-capacity? What would it feel like to ride a roller coaster with a mask on?

The answers, thankfully, are: the park experience was still fun, if a little different; there was barely any wait time at all; and hurtling on a tiny track at 60 MPH is just as scary as it was before our pre-mask days.

But make no mistake, Universal Studios is living in the new normal just as much as the rest of us are. Temperature checks are required for admission. There are markings on the ground every six feet outside restaurants, gift shops, and performance stages. Signs in walkways point to the nearest restroom, suggesting people make extra trips just to wash their hands. Purell stations are everywhere. There’s messaging over the park’s audio system reminding us of their new safety protocols, and dedicated “U-Rest” areas where you’re allowed to remove your mask when you need a break. Otherwise, they’re required unless you’re eating or drinking.

See more at 

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/opening-day-universal-orlando-coronavirus

Lyndy (Lyndy7)

Jun-15

with all the openings and marching it amazes me that the news casters are surprised when they announce the increases in infections on the news! Our church is opening on the 21st but is still going to run online for those of us to vulnerable to go in live! Even with all the extra precautions!

I agree with you!  Sadly this doesn't surprise me a bit, I am staying home as much as possible.

Lyndy (Lyndy7)

Jun-15

me too and have been for months now only going out to dentist and scans, blood tests. All my docs are happy to do online meetings thank God!

I  mostly just go to my vision doctor and to get my diabetic check up.